The BC Cancer Agency is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer Agency provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people ofBritish Columbiain partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey,Kelowna,Vancouver,Victoria, Abbotsford andPrince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BC Cancer Agency is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
Reference # 18589
Temporary Full Time (Until Feb 2013)
Wage: $22.95 per hour
The Pharmacy Assistant, under the direct supervision of Staff Pharmacists, measures, manufactures, compounds packages and distributes drugs and medications; maintains related records and ensures adequate levels of stock are on hand.
Example of Duties:
- Under the direct supervision of a licensed Pharmacist prepares injectable chemotherapy agents as per written policies and procedures utilizing aseptic technique.
- Under the direct supervision of a licensed Pharmacist compounds and prepares medications and other pharmaceutical supplies to fill prescriptions issued from oncologists and other qualified physicians as per written policies and procedures.
- Prepares computerized prescription labels for sterile injectables and oral medications.
- Prepares requisitions for supplies for the laminar flow hood room and regular dispensary supplies according to a pre-established replacement level for Chief Pharmacist’s authorization.
- Maintains associated inventory records.
- Ensures the safe disposal of used dispensary supplies and unused portions of chemotherapy preparations in accordance with established procedures and policies.
Education, Training & Experience
Grade 12, graduation from a recognized Pharmacy Technician course plus two (2) year’s recent related pharmacy experience in an acute/hospital environment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of professional staff and the public.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to type.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca/
For more information on the agency that you are interested in, please visit: www.bcca.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities