New collaborations are underway across the lower mainland health authorities to share resources and optimize care and service. This job posting is one of the exciting new collaborative opportunities currently available.
Reference # 25287
Temporary Full Time (until November 18, 2014)
The MGL Technologist performs analysis of patient specimens such DNA extraction, polymerase chain reaction, sequencing, polyacrylamide and agarose gel electrophoresis, Southern blot hybridization, restriction enzyme digestions, and autoradiography and other clinical genetic procedures. TheMGLTechnologist also performs related laboratory duties including operating and maintaining equipment, maintaining supplies, data management and reporting.
Examples of Duties:
- Performs procedures of DNA analysis includingDNAextraction, polymerase chain reaction, sequencing, polyacrylamide and agarose gel electrophoresis, Southern blot hybridization using radiolabelled probes, restriction enzyme digestions, and autoradiography according to established protocols.
- Performs laboratory procedures by operating a variety of laboratory equipment, apparatus and instrumentation. Maintains equipment by following preventative maintenance protocol. Notifies the supervisor of any malfunctions.
- Prepares reagents, standards and quality control material to be used for test procedures.
- Performs data entry, data retrieval and prepares laboratory worksheets and reports. Enters daily workload statistics into the laboratory information system.
- Calculates and tabulates results and prepares, evaluates and issues reports.
Education, Training & Experience
- Bachelor of Science
- Graduation from a recognized post diploma program in Clinical Genetics Technology and two years of recent, related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Current registration with the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science as a Clinical Genetics Technologist
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize workload and set priorities.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
- Knowledge and technical competence to perform procedures using molecular techniques.
- Knowledge of computerized laboratory information systems.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
Internal competition closes October 27, 2013. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process". Current PHSA staff who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca.
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.