The BC Cancer Agency is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer Agency provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BC Cancer Agency is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
Staff Nurse, Systemic Therapy
Reference # 17535
Casual On Call
BCCA - Vancouver Island Centre
Utilizing theory-based practice, provides nursing care to oncology patients and their families.
Example of Duties
- Provides nursing care in accordance with the Nursing Services Department's philosophy, conceptual framework, and standards of practice.
- Functions as a member of the health team by:
- Identifying patient needs and consulting with members of other health care disciplines as necessary.
- Communicating patient-related information to health team members through documentation in the patient's chart and the provision of written and/or oral reports.
- Participating in interdisciplinary rounds.
- Transfers patients according to Agency policies and Clinic/Nursing Services Department directives.
- Assists the patient in interpretation of the treatment plan and ensures patients and families are aware of services available at the Agency and in the community.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, families, and staff by adhering to emergency procedures and safety policies and standards.
- Accepts accountability for nursing care. Determines own learning needs and meets these needs in collaboration with the Department Head and other clinical resource staff.
Education, Training & Experience
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC).
- Current CPR (Level C) certification as well as demonstrated IV skills.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated relevant clinical knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to apply clinical knowledge in practice.
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with patients, the public and all levels of staff both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to organize patient care and set priorities.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca/
For more information on the agency that you are interested in, please visit: www.bcca.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities