Research Finance AssistantApply Now Apply Later
The BC Cancer Agency is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer Agency provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BCCA is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
BC Cancer Agency
Vancouver Island Centre
Deely Research Centre
Research Finance Assistant
Regular Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Reference # 53191
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Research Operations Leader (ROL), the Research Finance Assistant is responsible for performing administrative duties in support of the financial management of academic and industrial research projects for a broad range of scientific and clinical research programs. The Research Finance Assistant works with the Administration/Operations Team to reconcile and report on a high volume of grant projects throughout the year.
• Monitors budgets for a large volume of research grant projects by reviewing and reconciling revenue and expenditures each period. Verifies that all transactions are accurate and complete.
• Collates periodic financial data and updates existing excel spreadsheets each period. This information is summarized into financial reports for grant stakeholders
• Performs periodic reconciliation of general ledger accounts, corporate credit card statements, lab expenditures, payroll reports and receivables to ensure accuracy and timely follow-up.
• Performs a variety of timekeeping duties through methods such as entering information on computerized payroll system, submitting eForms for labour allocation changes, reviewing payroll reports for accuracy and communicating discrepancies to staff of the Payroll Department for action. Monitors and reconciles accounts by verifying payroll transactions in the general ledgers (PHSA & UBC) to ensure accuracy of labour expenses.
• Updates and maintains a database which tracks outstanding requisitions pertaining to procurement of lab supplies. Processes accounts payable and other transactions to ensure all projects are appropriately charged on a timely basis.
• Performs other related duties as assign
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to completion of a Certificate/Diploma in Accounting or Business plus a minimum of 1 year recent related experience in a research finance or administration role. Knowledge and experience in working with grant/funding agencies in a university/life science environment considered an asset.
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and assignments within a fast paced environment. Demonstrated organizational, analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent ability to organize work and communicate effectively. Ability to exercise confidentiality. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Demonstrated computer literacy. Ability to work under pressure. Ability to accept responsibility and work independently. Physical ability to perform the job duties.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process" . Current PHSA staff who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Please visit internaljobs.phsa.cato register your internal profile and apply online for internal jobs. If you require a temporary password outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com
Internal competition closes January 16th 2017. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: www.phsa.ca/careers
For more information on the agency that you are interested in, please visit: www.bccancer.bc.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities