Pharmacy TechnicianApply Now Apply Later
BC Cancer is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BC Cancer is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Regular Full Time
Wage: $27.66 per hour
The Pharmacy Technician operates in accordance with the competency guidelines and scope/standards of practice for Pharmacy Technicians as outlined by the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia and relevant legislation, and according to organizational policies, procedures, standards and unit specific protocols. Processes medication orders that are clinically reviewed for therapeutic appropriateness and approved by a Pharmacist. Receives verbal and non-verbal prescriptions from practitioners and ensures that prescriptions are complete and authentic. Prepares, processes and compounds prescriptions. Ensures the accuracy and completeness of dispensed prescriptions prepared by self or others by verifying order entries and/or performing the final check of dispensed prescriptions. Processes prescriptions for temporary inpatient leaves of absence. Transfers prescriptions to and receives prescriptions from other pharmacies. Enters and ensures the accuracy and completeness of drug and personal health information in the Pharmacy information system. Maintains stock levels and performs clerical duties as assigned
Example of Duties and Accountabilities
- Processes clinically reviewed and approved medication orders for distribution to a patient.
- Receives prescriptions (verbal and non verbal) from practitioners and ensures that prescriptions are complete and authentic by performing duties such as verifying allergy status and/or demographics.
- Prepares and processes prescriptions by performing duties such as entering orders, counting, measuring, packaging or re-packaging medications and compounding various sterile pharmaceutical products, including hazardous drugs, according to established procedures. Pre-packages oral, liquid and topical medications into unit-of-use format.
- Ensures the accuracy and completeness of dispensed prescriptions prepared by self or others by verifying order entries, and/or performing the final check of dispensed prescriptions.
- Enters and ensures the accuracy and completeness of drug and personal health information in the pharmacy information system.
Education, Training and Experience
- Current registration as a Pharmacy Technician with the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to keyboard.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile athttp://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date ofMay 23, 2018. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the BC Cancer Agency, please visit the website at: www.bccancer.bc.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.