More than just a job.
Work with the innovative cancer care teams responsible for the highest patient survival rate in Canada. BC Cancer is internationally renowned for excellence in clinical care and research, and our nurses are highly valued members of our teams. Join us and apply your patient-care expertise while delivering leading-edge, evidence-based treatments in a positive, rewarding work environment. While you support our patients during a crucial time, we’ll support you by providing modern cancer care facilities, leading edge technology, continuing education, professional development, and certification programs.
- Specialty Nursing
- Day Job
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take to be a successful oncology nurse at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
- BC Cancer is committed to providing a comprehensive, provincially-planned, and regionally-delivered cancer control system for the residents of British Columbia.
- Its mandate covers the full spectrum of cancer care from prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment, to research and education, to supportive and palliative care.
"I love the patients. I love their stories, I love that they're motivated to be well. I've never worked with a patient group that's been so motivated to be well."~ Mary Beth, RN, BC Cancer Prince George
"Everybody comes from different backgrounds, whether it's their own life background or nursing background, so there's a massive pool of resources to draw from. It's comforting and comfortable to know you have this great group of people to work with, and to support."~ Roger, RN, BC Cancer Prince George
"I just love my job. It’s so rewarding, it’s so motivating, it’s so humbling, it’s so wonderful. The patients are what make the job. We get to know them so well, and just to give them a little bit of hope and encouragement and lots of TLC along the way. That’s what I love."~ Janice, RN, BC Cancer Vancouver
"I love the schedule. I used to work inpatient, and it was difficult. It really does change your relationship with the people you're close to. And now I have a position where I get to work 8:00 to 4:00, Monday to Friday. It's a normal job. I get weekends off. I get holidays off. It makes work/life balance that much easier, which I really enjoy."~ Liz, RN, BC Cancer Abbotsford
Benefits and Perks
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Locations throughout BC
Operating Room Nurse
BC Cancer Abbotsford
This invaluable role will find you using your patient care experience and clinical knowledge to provide perioperative care to surgical patients, as well as nursing care that ensures patients and their families are aware of the spectrum of services at BC Cancer and in the community.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Clinical Nurse Coordinator, you will be called upon to function as a scrub and circulator nurse during special procedures. You will participate as a member of our health team to identify patient needs and communicate patient-related information in order to maintain efficiency and interpretation of the treatment plan.
What you bring
You are a graduate of an accredited school of nursing and have:
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP)
- Graduation from an Operating Room post-diploma program preferred, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current CPR (Level C) certification
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Casual on Call (Monday to Friday)
Wage: $34.83 - $45.73 per hour
Location: 32900 Marshall Road Abbotsford BC
What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca, part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.