Under general supervision and in accordance with established procedures, timeframes and various collective agreements, this position performs a variety of payroll duties including electronic file transmission of data, calculating and preparing off-cycle cheques, maintaining operating reconciliations, maintaining records necessary for the preparation of time sheets, completing records of employment, providing information to staff and outside sources, and performing related clerical duties.
- Perform electronic data transfer of time administration system timesheets to Peoplesoft. Respond to inquiries related to the preparation and processing of payroll policies, makes corrections and adjustments as required, such as increment adjustments, overtime pay and voluntary deductions.
- Calculate and prepare off-cycle cheques for adjustments such as vacation, terminations, retirements and leaves of absence as per departmental procedures. Calculate contract retroactive payments for input to the computerized payroll spreadsheet program.
- Maintain Payroll data such as direct deposit information, voluntary deductions, personal information, and statutory deductions. Verify data has been inputted correctly, ensure leaves, vacation and banked time entitlements are accurate, and provides Earnings information for Insurance claims.
- Prepare separation certificates for Employment Insurance, complete earnings inquiry reports and respond to inquiries by telephone from the Employment Insurance Commission.
- Review time records for accuracy in coding and completeness. Advise departments of coding errors and makes adjustments as required such as graduated return to work, sub plans and WCB payments by verifying calculations and entering payroll data into computer systems. Review and revise error edit reports in the appropriate time administration systems.
- Provide information to staff and external agencies regarding contract provisions on payroll matters such as scheduling, vacation accumulation, sick time and pay policies, time keeping and records maintenance, benefits and banked time entitlements. Make corrections and adjustments as required.
- Review and verify accuracy of exception reports by methods such as verifying that cheques and direct deposit totals agree with Payroll Journal by comparing and balancing a variety of reports, and running payroll queries from the HCM system to ensure accuracy.
- Calculate Garnishee and Court Order payments based on regulatory requirements as specified individually for type of garnishee and informs employee of deduction amounts and timing of deductions.
- Review payroll remittance reports and advises Accounts Payable of the timing and amounts owing to various agencies such as Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, Union, Small Claims Court (Garnishees) and Canada Savings Bonds.
- Assist with benefit administration by methods such as completing documentation and reconciling benefit deductions and benefit statements to ensure accuracy.
- Prepare and create a variety of reports such as Statistics Canada Report and Year-to-date Balancing Report by methods such as compiling information from year-to-date totals, Labour Analysis Reports and Payroll Journals.
- Prepare and analyze statutory, mandatory and voluntary deduction reconciliations providing for payroll, vendor and/or general ledger adjustments including related documentation.
- Ensure that assigned employee payroll information is securely maintained, recorded and filed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Attend and participate in departmental meetings to provide input into items such as changes to policies, procedures and processes.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12, successful completion of a recognized payroll course and three years’ recent, related experience
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
Rate of Pay: $24.83/hour
Location: 1795 Willingdon, Burnaby BC
Closing Date: Open until filled
Requisition #: 091951E
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.