More than just a job.
We enable health services providers to become leaders in providing patient-centered health care, using enterprise standards and frameworks to deliver useful information and clinical tools reliably and consistently, anytime, anywhere. IMITS manages over 300 applications across business, clinical and research environments, serving over 50,000 front line, administrative and research staff to enable over 4.8 million patient encounters a year. As a successful candidate, you will deliver support to enable PHSA, Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) and Providence Health Care (PHC) to become leaders in providing patient-centered health care. You have initiative, vision, independent thinking and creative problem solving abilities, as well as excellent communication skills.
- Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time,
Temporary, Casual, Contractor
- Job Level: Entry, Mid, Senior
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful in an IMITS role at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Technologically Savvy
Information Management/Information Technology Services (IMITS) is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages, and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. IMITS boasts a complement of 800 full-time staff who provide tech support and services to 50,000+ staff across PHSA, Vancouver Coastal Health and Providence Health Care. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, Serve with purpose.
"I see every day the great work that our staff do. …seeing how staff show up every day to make sure that our systems are available, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for your contributions, thank you for your commitment to the organization, to making sure that those providers have the information they need, that the systems are highly available. What you do is very, very important every day."Ron Quirk Executive Vice President, Digital Information Services & Innovation
"I haven't been in any other workplace where the managers or teams have been so supportive of my development or pushing me to try new things."John Panzo Business Analyst, Project Services
"No two days are the same. It's a lot of analysis, a lot of thinking. If you like to pull things apart and bring them back together and make it something better."Shukri Ahmed Clinical Lead
Technology Services oversees the management of over 64,000 workstations across 259 sites and the infrastructure for the province’s centralized data centre.
Due to its unique provincial visibility, Technology Services is also accountable for province-wide services such as the E-Health Network Gateway and the Physician Private Network.
Behind The Scenes In The Network Lab
Benefits and Perks
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Enrollment in defined benefit Municipal Pension Plan
The opportunity to grow and advance your skill set in a large scale environment
We encourage "You" Time For Activities that inspire and motivate
Work with individuals bringing expertise from a variety of backgrounds
Technical Solutions Lead
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Reporting to the Manager, Desktop Technical Support, the Technical Solutions Lead has direct responsibility for leading the design, development, implementation, project management, control and governance of strategies and integrated technical solutions for Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Information Management Information Technology Services (IMITS) team.
This role is key to ensuring security patching and changes to over 36,000 devices across 17 sites not inadvertently negatively impact clinical and business users. In addition, a key requirement is to support various priority escalations that are directly related to patient care/acute areas. This role also supports end-point-security device testing, Group Policy Object (GPO) creation, desktop Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and containerization, project/emergent initiatives, device assessments, management of technologies used to bridge legacy applications and various other aspects that makes certain clinical/business desktops work as they need -in order to support users effectively.
Furthermore, the Technical Solutions Lead supports the design of integrated technical desktop solutions and implementations within the clinical and business areas. Competencies in Data center infrastructure technologies (e.g., Servers, Active Directory, Storage, Network and Databases) are deemed an asset in order to assist in the effective troubleshooting and timely resolution of issues related to the backend environment, support various toolsets and manage the technical lab environment.
The Technical Solutions Lead will need to collaborate with key stakeholders including Service Providers, IMITS technical teams, external technical teams and other Heath Authority stakeholders to translate the Client’s business requirements in designing integrated technical solutions for various initiatives and support the implementation of the desired solution in the clinical and business environment.
What you’ll do:
- Supervise the Technical Solution Support Team under including delegating tasks and providing direction to team members; monitoring performance; and managing conflicts.
- Lead operational activities for the Technical Solution Support Team and collaborate with various IMITS teams, Service Providers and external resources to ensure holistic end-to-end delivery of workplace technology services to the client. This includes conducting project and change management activities; developing and implementing plans; providing status reports; chairing team meetings; recommending and monitoring budgets; and recommending annual goals and objectives for the area of responsibility ensuring consistency with department strategies, objectives, goals and plans.
- Lead analysis, design, development, consultation, service planning, and implementation of integrated technical solutions working closely with business units, functional leads, IMITS technical teams and external resources to fulfill client’s business and clinical needs. Obtain final approval for the technical solution from the Manager, Desktop Technical Support.
- Engage clients and maintain ongoing communication; provide issue resolution support; and manage client and stakeholder expectations under the direction of the Manager, Desktop Technical Support.
- Conduct research on markets and technology trends, and lead the development and maintenance of formalized solution and process documentation that add further insight and depth of knowledge to the solution area as well as other supporting documentation including but not limited to briefing notes, business cases, technical documentation, and technical diagrams.
- Support the development and implementation of policies and standards related to technology architecture.
- Participate in governance meetings, advisory groups, special task forums, and strategic planning sessions, providing independent strategic business and change management advice under the direction of the Manager, Desktop Technical Support.
What you bring:
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline, and five (5) to seven (7) years of recent related experience with IT disciplines from a Client/server environment in a large, complex, multi-site organization.
- Prior experience in a supervisory capacity or lead role.
- Good working knowledge of technical and networking architecture, systems analysis, security, server infrastructure, application development, testing, QA environment and other platforms for complex enterprise.
- Experience in developing and implementing co-existence and migration strategies for introducing new workstation infrastructure technologies and developing and maintaining related process standards that are effective and relevant to an organization (e.g., test labs, Group Policies, role groups, mandatory/generic profiles, VPP folder, O/S architecture, Kiosks, Work-Stations-On-Wheels, ITIL fundamentals etc.).
- Knowledge of and experience with emerging and transformational technologies including virtual environments (VDI and Citrix), cloud and managed services.
- Experience in supporting implementation of strategies and / or technology roadmaps.
- Ability to comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies.
- Ability to translate business needs to technical solution requirements.
- Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems.
- Demonstrated initiative with the ability to drive towards goals and attain results.
- Ability to understand and clearly relate technical information and principals of operation to other members of the organization.
- Ability to analyze operational problems and recommend innovative solutions, demonstrating time management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with diverse stakeholders, focusing on clients, and working in a cross-functional environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology.
- Ability to supervise staff, provide guidance, coordinate work and resources, and evaluate performance in a unionized environment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: 1795 Willingdon Ave, Burnaby, BC V5C 6E3
Closing date: Open until position is filled
Hours of Work: 08:30-16:30 Monday-Friday
Requisition #: 123130E
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.