More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Health Care Worker - Casual
Health Care Worker
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, Port Coquitlam, BC
Casual Opportunities Available
Wage: $24.83 per hour
Assist in the delivery of patient care for an assigned inpatient area of the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, a facility that provides services to persons found Not Criminally Responsible or Unfit to Stand Trial on Account of Mental Disorder.
What you’ll do
- Establish and maintain therapeutic relationships with patients/families and provide support, following established care plans.
- Greet patients/families, assist with storage of personal belongings and with creating a safe/comfortable environment, including fostering a culture of patient and staff safety. Maintain confidentiality and respect for the patient’s rights and privacy.
- Provide personal care to patients, which includes baths, showers, grooming, dressing, assisting with oral hygiene and toileting needs, maintaining skin by applying creams and ointments as applicable, and serving meals and assisting with feeding patients as required, ensuring dietary needs are met.
- Ensure nurses know the Kardex, risk triggers and signature behaviors, nursing care plans of any and all patients they are assigned to, as well as the unit milieu. Communicate reports and records in the patient chart, noting any behaviors of concern including verbal or physical aggression or violence to the nurse.
- Respond to call bells/alarms by alerting the appropriate health care team member and/or assisting as necessary. Respond to emergent situations by calling appropriate codes and assisting the care team in accordance with unit/program guidelines.
- Observe and monitor patient progress and behavioral changes and report significant observations such as discomfort and/or pain, condition/complaints and/or accidents and incorporate feedback into the care planning, noting progress to the Registered Nurse or designate as applicable.
What you bring
- Grade 10 graduation.
- Graduation from a recognized Nursing Assistant or Care Attendant program, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What’s in it for you?
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) bcmhsus.ca cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.