More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Health Care Worker, Forensic Psychiatric Hospital - BC Mental Health Substance Use Services
Health Care Worker
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital - BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services
Port Coquitlam BC
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA effective October 26, 2021.
Casual Opportunities Available
Assist in the delivery of patient care for an assigned inpatient area of the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, a facility that provides services to persons found Not Criminally Responsible or Unfit to Stand Trial on Account of Mental Disorder.
What you do
- Establish and maintain therapeutic relationships with patients/families and provides support following established care plans; greet patients/families, assist with storage of personal belongings and creation of a safe/comfortable environment, including fostering a culture of patient and staff safety. The health care worker maintains confidentiality and respect for the patient’s rights and privacy.
- Provide personal care to patients such as bathe, shower, groom, dress, assist with oral hygiene and toileting needs, maintain skin by applying creams and ointments as applicable, serving meals and assisting with feeding patients as required; ensure dietary needs are met.
- Perform nursing care functions as applicable such as ensuring they know the Kardex, risk triggers and signature behaviors, nursing care plans of any and all patients they are assigned to and the unit milieu. Communicate reports and records in the patient chart, any patient behaviors’ of concern including patient verbal or physical aggression, or violence to the nurse.
- Respond to call bells/alarms by alerting the appropriate health care team member and/or assisting as necessary. Respond to emergent situations by calling appropriate code and assisting care team in accordance with unit/program guidelines.
- Observe and monitor patient progress and behavioral changes and reports significant observations such as discomfort and/or pain, or condition/ complaints and/or accidents, which the patient reports and feedback from the patient into the care planning progress to the Registered Nurse or designate; as applicable.
- Utilize mechanical aides such as specialty beds, lifts, slide boards, mobilize wheelchairs and stretchers to transport patients; provide assistance with positioning, lifting and/or transferring patients utilizing established lifting/safety techniques, and accompanies patients to provide assistance as required.
- Maintain a clean, safe and healthy environment for patients and staff; makes beds, applies side-rail requirements, collects patient urine samples, handles workplace hazardous materials according to procedures, and reports all incidents, equipment problems and potential safety issues to others.
What you bring
You will have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Casual Opportunities Available!
Wage: $25.86 per hour
Location: 70 Colony Farm Road, Port Coquitlam, V3C 5X9
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Rotating; 0700-1500 / 2300-0700
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCMHSUS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.