More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Nurse Practitioner, Red Fish Healing Centre - BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services - Coquitlam BC
BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services, Red Fish Healing Centre
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Red Fish Healing Centre for Mental Health and Addiction, is a leading-edge facility that treats people with the most complex mental health and addictions challenges in B.C. Located on the historic Riverview Lands in Coquitlam, the virtually-enabled,105-bed facility will welcome its first patients in the fall of 2021. The Red Fish Healing Centre is purpose-built for mental illness and addiction treatment, with therapeutic design elements that go hand-in-hand with a new, evidence-based model of care that represents decades of experience, expertise and research. Red Fish is replacing The Burnaby Centre for Mental Health & Addiction. Both are operated by BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services, which is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority. Learn more about Our Promise at Red Fish in this video.
Nurse Practitioners collaborate with clients and other health professionals to identify and assess trends
and patterns that have implications for clients, families and communities; develop and implement
population and evidence based strategies to improve health; and participate in policy-making activities that
influence health services and practices. As professionals, they participate in peer and self-review to evaluate
the outcome of their services at the client, community and population level. They are responsible for their
professional development and maintaining competence and registration as a nurse practitioner.
What you’ll do
- Diagnose and treats previously undiagnosed clients for undifferentiated diseases, illnesses and conditions within the Nurse Practitioner’s scope of practice; order appropriate screening diagnostic investigations; interpret reports of investigations and analyze information to monitor progress and plan treatment. As part of the multidisciplinary team, develop and implement treatment plans. Write orders for treatment and medications; make patient rounds as appropriate and monitor ongoing care; provide first line care in emergencies.
- Establish priorities for management of health conditions; provide follow-up treatment; communicate with clients and families about health findings, diagnose and prognose; support and counsel clients in their personal responses to diseases, disorders and conditions.
- Collaborate and/or consult with physicians or other health care and social service providers as appropriate to assess and diagnose client status. Accept referrals from, or make referrals to, physicians and other health professionals.
- Prescribe drugs within the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions for Nurse Practitioners and within applicable employer policies and procedures. Apply knowledge of pharmacology and evidence based practice in selecting, prescribing, administering and monitoring the effects of drugs to treat diseases disorders, conditions or injuries.
- Participate in research contributing to improved patient care and advances in nursing, health policy development and population health. Synthesize qualitative and quantitative data from a variety of sources about determinants of health; maintains population health focus by participating in and implementing evidence based screening and health promotion for populations at risk and implements population based harm reduction strategies.
What you bring
- Current registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM). Must be eligible to complete the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) through the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Minimum of (4) years of recent, relevant clinical nursing experience.
You will also have the ability to
- Perform the full scope of Nurse Practitioner duties and responsibilities.
- Define and articulate the specific areas of practice and client population for whom the NP is competent to provide health care services.
- Self-direct, interact, and adapt effectively with other professionals in complex, dynamic situations.
- Communicate and collaborate with patients and families about health findings, diagnosis, treatment, self care and prognosis.
- Communicate effectively and build relationships with nurses and other health professionals and disciplines using a variety of communication strategies
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, suh as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and spiritual and psychological health & safety programs.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
2745 Lougheed Hwy, Coquitlam, BC V3C 4J2
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition Number: 113831
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCMHSUS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 7, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.