More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse - Minimum and Medium Security Units - Forensic Psychiatric Hospital
Registered Nurse - Minimum and Medium Security Units
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services
Provide nursing care delivery and care planning for forensic psychiatric patients directly or in conjunction with an interdisciplinary and unit based treatment team or supervisor. Interpret and apply methods, techniques and procedures to address the needs of individual patients; liaise with other members of the health care team; maintain accurate records; provide support and guidance to patients, their families and other health care professionals; and provide input into policies and procedures.
What you’ll do
- Provide direct care by performing protocols and interventions; implementing behaviour management strategies; and meeting care recipient needs, applying approved techniques, procedures and treatments; and administering prescribed medication.
- Recognize and identify signs and symptoms and detect changes in patients’ conditions; report and record as indicated.
- Collect and document patient health care information. Maintain complete and accurate records of nursing observation, interventions and evaluation of nursing care.
- Plan direct care and contribute to the physical and psychological well-being of patients by assessing clinical requirements, status and condition of care recipients; developing care plans based on identified needs; participating in various interdisciplinary assessment and screening processes, and including patient and family, when appropriate, in planning nursing care and implementing care plans, evaluating outcomes and revising plans to address gaps and to respond to the needs of care recipients.
- Consult with nurses, members of the interdisciplinary team and other health care professionals to access any other available resources in relation to overall care planning issues. Meet with other members of the health care team to discuss and review the care plan. Maintain liaison between nurses, physicians, family, and community resources for individual patients to ensure continuity of care.
- Support patients with psychosocial, life, and personal care skills by teaching and providing guidance; supervising and participating in routine care including personal hygiene and maintaining normal body functions; utilizing accepted modalities such as Social Learning Theory, role-playing, and group therapy; and identifying and pursuing advocacy issues on behalf of patients.
What you bring
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Graduation from a recognized diploma program in Psychiatric Nursing or Nursing.
- One (1) year of recent experience working in a forensic or acute psychiatric hospital setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPR Training – Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) – Level 1.
- Current and updated knowledge of changes and developments in the practice of psychiatric nursing and of applicable Federal and Provincial legislation (i.e. the Criminal Code of Canada, Forensic Psychiatry Act, the Mental Health Act, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Young Offenders Act, Public Trustee Act).
- Broad knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of behavioural, social emotional and mental health/psychiatric issues in adults.
- Broad knowledge of adult education principles, methods and tools.
You have demonstrated ability to:
- Demonstrate organizational, facilitation, decision-making and leadership skills.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Prepare and maintain records, charts, and reports.
- Participate as a member of a multidisciplinary care team, work independently, and function as a nursing resource.
- Adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, and deal with conflict.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physically perform the duties of the position.
Regular Part-Time (0.47 FTE)
Wage: $35.61-$46.50 hourly
Location: 70 Colony Farm Rd, Coquitlam BC
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work: 0700-1500/1500-2300
Requisition # 89732
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) bcmhsus.ca, part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm.
For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.