More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Rehabilitation Worker, Forensic Mental Health
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, Coquitlam, BC
Are you a certified Rehabilitation Worker, with a passion for working with individuals with histories of mental health and substance use? Join the team at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital to participate in the development of individualized rehabilitative treatment plans and psychosocial intervention strategies for affected clients.
What you’ll do
- Carry out established psychosocial rehabilitative programs to address patient needs by implementing, actively participating in, and evaluating therapeutic programs.
- Implement individual program plans and corresponding psychosocial rehabilitation intervention strategies such as: cooking programs; community outings; recreation therapy programs; and woodworking projects.
- Identify patient strengths, limitations and functional levels for specific program involvement.
- Work with team members in the regular evaluation of programs and modify or change as needed.
- Recommend client suitability for programs and determine when it is safe and appropriate to integrate community rehabilitation resources/opportunities.
- Complete rehabilitation assessments by regularly noting patient progress and concerns in patient charts.
- Work with team members to adjust treatment plans to reflect patient progress.
- Prepare individual discharge reports, summarizing information that focuses on patients’ community living skills and independence levels, recommending appropriate community supports where available.
- Work collaboratively with other rehabilitation colleagues and treatment team members to analyze the needs of target patient populations as a basis for new program development.
- Participate in the development of specific program curricula to address the functional level of the target population.
- Perform regular security functions to maintain the safety and security of patients, staff, families and the general public at all times and take immediate action to mitigate risk, reporting all real and potential risk issues.
- Ensure the safety and security of staff, patients and the general public during all planned activities.
- Drive patients to designated locations by operating the centre’s passenger van. Assist clients with embarking and disembarking the vehicle.
- Conduct vehicle inspections; clean interior and exterior of vehicle after use; and maintain records of distance traveled, gas expenditures and inspections. Recommend vehicle and equipment repairs as required.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized recreational, rehabilitation or related health or human services program.
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid Food Safe Certificate.
- Valid Class 4 BC Driver's License.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary Full-Time (Note: Temporary with end date Sept 30, 2021 or until Single Site Directive is removed in order to comply with Provincial Health Office (PHO) orders.
Wage: $26.49 per hour
70 Colony Farm Road, Coquitlam, BC
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work: 12:15-20:15; Monday- Friday
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) bcmhsus.ca, a program of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.