More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Indigenous Patient Navigator, Community Transition Team, Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre, BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services – Kamloops, BC
Indigenous Patient Navigator
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What you’ll do
- Provide consultative and navigational services to patients referred to PHSA programs and services by supporting cultural interpretation and/or health literacy translation services and by supporting culturally-competent and safe practice (e.g., access, system barriers, and navigation challenges). Supports patients in communications with physicians, nurses, and other frontline care staff.
- Support access and coordination of services for patients within the designated region. As required, coordinates client referrals to and from interagency, Indigenous communities, Indigenous organizations, and other health programs and services.
- Provide client support services within the hospital care system/community by initiating and maintaining working relationships with Indigenous clients to assess their needs and ability to access and receive culturally-safe care. Supports clients, as requested in the assigned service area, to understand, access, and navigate health care services.
- Advocate for the needs of patients within the health care system and liaises with other community and regional health organizations and promotes and works to strengthen collaboration with regional health authorities to improve patient care.
- Provide support and act as a resource, as required, for healthcare providers and other staff members, regarding the provision of culturally safe care. Coordinates client/family spiritual care requests and/or access to sacred spaces within the healthcare system to support Indigenous beliefs and practices.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to diploma or degree in a related health discipline, health or social sciences, or a patient care/clinical related discipline, and one (1) to three (3) years’ recent related experience working in Indigenous healthcare.
- Ability to travel. Valid B.C. Driver’s License is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with Indigenous (First Nations, Metis and Inuit) communities and organizations.
- Extensive knowledge of Indigenous peoples’ demographics, languages, cultures, customs and traditions
- Experience or knowledge of the health care system and community based resources within the region.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time (1.00 FTE)
Location: 2250 Trans-Canada Hwy, Kamloops, BC V2E 2T1
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 8:00-16:00.
Requisition: # 127422
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCMHSUS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of June 2, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.