More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Part Time EMCT - Kamloops
POSTING EB 19:073 (e)
Posted: February 15, 2019
Closes: March 31, 2019
Assessment Day: April 10, 2019
Interviews: April 11, 2019
EMCT Training: May 2019
Upcoming Career Opportunities for Emergency Medical Call Taker (EMCT) Trainees in the following Dispatch Operations Centre:
- Kamloops Dispatch Operations Centre
Are you a career oriented individual who thrives in a fast paced, challenging work environment, do you want to be an integral part of helping our community? If this interests you, then this may be the career for you!
As an Emergency Medical Call Taker in a Communications Centre, you are the first point of contact to the public who are calling 911 for an Ambulance due to an emergency medical situation. As an Emergency Medical Call Taker, you are that calming and reassuring voice on the other end of the phone. You are responsible for providing vital information to the caller, Dispatch team, Paramedic crews, and hospitals to ensure help is on the way to the emergency event.
An ideal Emergency Medical Call Taker will have the ability to:
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service skills
- Remain calm and focused in stressful, high pressure situations
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer skills (fast typing with high accuracy rate)
- Approach problems and decisions methodically and be able to follow scripted messaging
- Adapt quickly in a dynamic environment
- Prioritize multiple competing tasks
- Readily assume a leadership role
- Effectively communicate and actively build relationships with other team members and the caller
- Actively seek win-win solutions
- Maintain professionalism in cases of healthy conflict and in supporting/managing differences of opinion
- Understand the vast geography of British Columbia
- Work rotational shifts including weekdays, weekends, statutory holidays; as the operation runs 24/7, 365 days a year
- High school Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 19 years of age
- 2 Years customer service experience
- Basic First Aid (or higher)
- CPR Level C certificate
- 40 wpm typing/keyboarding
- Fluent in English, spoken and written
Please email your Basic First Aid certificate (or higher - ie OFA2, EMR, PCP) and CPR-C certificate to:BCEHSRecruitment@phsa.ca . The subject line of the email should read: EB 19:073 (e) PT EMCT Trainee Kamloops Dispatch.
Next Steps in the Recruitment Process:
- Individuals submitting an online application including the above required documents will be invited to attend an Assessment Day on April 10, 2019 as the first step in the process. To be considered for this position, your attendance is required. This session will be approximately 3.5 hours and will include an information session about the position, organization, along with various tests. The applicant will be tested on:
o Typing test
o Medical terminology test (study sheet to be provided ahead of time)
o CritiCall test (computer simulation testing)
o Geography exam
o Critical Listening quiz
- Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be invited to participate in the Assessment Day. Along with the invitation will be additional information regarding the testing components. To be considered for this position, your attendance is required. The sessions will be held at our Kamloops Dispatch Operations Centre. The Assessment day will be held on April 10, 2019.
- Applicants who are successful in the Assessment Day will be contacted to attend an interview at our Kamloops Dispatch Operations Centre. The interviews will be held on April 11, 2019
Successful applicants will begin training in May 2019.
Please note: successful candidates who do receive an offer will need to obtain a satisfactory Medical Assessment, Hearing Test and a Criminal Record Check.
We invite you to apply by clicking the “Apply Online Now” button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password to re-access your profile on our system.
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. English is the official language used at PHSA.