More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse (RN) / Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) - New Grad - Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre, Kamloops, BC
Registered Nurse (RN) / Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)
Correctional Health Services BC
Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre, 2250 Trans-Canada Hwy, Kamloops, BC
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What you’ll do
- Provide direct trauma informed health care services to clients presenting with a wide variety and complexity of illnesses/diseases including communicable diseases, substance dependency, mental health and general health issues. Perform physical, substance use and psychiatric assessments, collect specimens, refer clients to the physician for further examination, administer prescribed treatments and medications according to protocols and make appropriate adjustments. Triage Health Service Requests from clients and makes appropriate treatment plan or referrals,
- Observe, monitor, evaluate and document client progress, symptoms, and behavioral changes and performs a variety of health care interventions utilizing nursing skills and medical equipment including therapeutic interventions using a variety of modalities. Initiate and facilitate discharge planning in collaboration with the interprofessional treatment team; identify referrals to other health professionals.
- Provide education and support to clients and groups using a health promotion approach regarding matters such as contraception, birth control, sexually transmitted diseases, upper respiratory tract infections, urinary tract infections and minor dermatology problems.
- Work collaboratively with other health care professionals, client, family and community in the identification and resolution of health issues, cultural and language barriers, ethical dilemmas and coordination and integration of care, and makes referrals to other service providers as appropriate.
- Maintain accurate computerized and paper records in accordance with established procedures and policies; prepare and maintain statistical information, correspondence, reports and other documentation. Document patient/family perspectives and nursing observations.
What you bring
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse or as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two (2) years’ recent experience providing trauma informed acute or community health nursing care/services to patients who have a combination of physical, psychiatric and/or concurrent substance abuse/misuse disorders or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Occupational First Aid Level 2 certification (OFA Level 3 certification for positions at the Ford Mountain Correctional Centre).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Casual
Wage: $36.23 - $47.58
Location: Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre, 2250 Trans-Canada Hwy, Kamloops, BC
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
Click on the link below to see what it's like to work at Correctional Health Services!
Click on the below link to hear from a new grad's perspective of working at Correctional Health Services!