More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Clinical Secretary, Op-Oncology Clinic, Kelowna
BC Cancer, Kelowna
Are you efficient and detail oriented? Provide effective support to our clinical teams so we can in turn provide the best health care to our patients.
What you’ll do
- Arrange meeting times, book meeting rooms, notify attendees, and circulate materials. Prepare agendas; prepare and distribute minutes; take follow-up action.
- Screen and prioritize patient needs by:
Relaying patient information to and from doctors' offices and outside hospitals; obtaining reports; ensuring timely follow up action is taken by medical staff in response to calls; coordinating appointments and tests for patients; retrieving patient data and coordinating appointments.
- Coordinate and prepare for clinic conferences by sending out notices, typing case notes/histories, co-ordinating patient activity with ACU staff.
- Prepare on-call lists and weekly staff schedule.
- Prepare correspondence and memos from transcribing equipment, hand-written or electronic drafts. Draft routine items for signature.
- Prepare presentation materials such as abstracts, posters, papers, handouts and slides for educational sessions, workshops and conferences,
- Greet visitors and handle enquiries; screen and prioritize calls.
- Maintain appointment schedules.
- Open, screen, prioritize and distribute incoming mail.
- Maintain files of incoming and outgoing information and correspondence.
- Assist with research by gathering information and articles and typing research proposals, grant applications and abstracts
- Maintain department manuals including directive and procedure manuals.
- Maintain own workload statistics; collects, collates and types statistics for departments
- Participate in interdepartmental meetings.
- Book hotels and make travel arrangements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Keyboard at least 60 w.p.m.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Deal with others effectively
- Organize work
- Operate related equipment
Req No: 103602
Job type: Casual
Days: Monday - Friday
Hours of work: 0730-1530, 0800-1600, 0830-1630, 0900-1700 or to meet operational needs
What we do
BC Cancer (bccancer.bc.ca) provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia. BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.