More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - BC Cancer, Kelowna
Licensed Practical Nurse
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA effective October 26, 2021.
Accepting applications now for upcoming casual and regular opportunities!
You’re on a professional mission to reduce the burden of cancer in your community, and with great hope, across the globe. A person-centred nursing professional, you remain steadfast in your efforts to support all individuals who are undergoing cancer care, along with their families and friends. Working with a team of health care colleagues who share your values of compassionate care and excellence through innovation makes all the difference in your work days, as you share the highs and lows with support, kindness, and excellence in care.
What you’ll do
- Provide nursing care during procedures such as catheterizations and sterile dressings: apply and change sterile or non-sterile dressings, colostomy care and irrigation, take/record blood pressure and/or rectal temperature, administer suppositories and enemas, take temperatures, pulse and/or respiration. Record observations and report problems and/or changes to designated staff.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living by providing personal care including assisting with toilet needs, providing comfort measures such as positioning and assisting with meals/snacks including serving and collecting meal trays and feeding patients.
- Support patients visiting for examination: provide comfort measures and physical assistance including escorting to the examining room, measure weight, and assist with changing into gowns as required.
- Communicate patient-related information to health team members through documentation in the patient’s chart and the provision of written and/or oral reports.
- Assist with physical examinations: handle and receive instruments and supplies, receive and prepare specimens through methods such as levelling, attach completed requisitions and place in receptacles and/or deliver to the laboratory.
- Maintain patient examining rooms: check and lay out clean instruments, stock rooms with required supplies, clean and make up room between patients, and collect used instruments and send to central processing for sterilization.
- Perform a variety of clerical duties to support patient care: organize appointment lists, films and reports for clinic and ensure charts are returned for order processing after examination, answer telephones, complete filing and typing using a variety of software packages.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Current practicing registration as an LPN with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Need more information? Contact Jennifer Iskierski, Talent Acquisition Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Comprehensive BC Cancer nursing orientation program.
- Find work-life balance with Monday-Friday, daytime shifts.
- Help us maintain the highest patient survival rate in Canada.
- Use state-of-the-art technology and the latest, evidence-based treatments.
- Be a respected member of Canada's collaborative leading oncology clinical teams.
- Grow your career through continuing education, ongoing professional development, and certification programs.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Casual and Regular Upcoming Opportunities
399 Royal Avenue, Kelowna
Shifts are between Monday to Friday
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia. BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.