More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Radiation Therapist, Rad Oncology - BC Cancer - Kelowna
Radiation Therapist, Rad Oncology
The Radiation Therapist provides radiation services and patient care in accordance with established policies and standards of professional practice for radiation therapy. Provides radiation services through treatment planning, delivery and follow up.
What you’ll do
- Provide patient care by performing duties such as patient assessment, reviewing patient and family history, educating patients and families on treatment process and side effects and recommending self-care measures.
- Consult with and/or refers patients to members of other health care disciplines as required.
- Perform treatment planning procedures by:Review, interpret and implement radiation treatment prescriptions for brachytherapy and external beam radiation therapy which includes computerized treatment plans, use of immobilizing and beam modifying devices and, accurate dose calculations.Maintain accurate treatment record.Assist the patient in the interpretation of the treatment plan and evaluates the patient’s understanding of treatment and side effects.
- Constructing immobilization and beam directional and shaping devices.
- Using simulation and related equipment for the generation and verification of treatment plans.
- Positioning and marking patient to ensure optimal dose distribution & reproducibility of treatment plan.
- Performing manual and computerized planning calculations for radiation treatment techniques.
- Ensure that patients and their families are aware of services available at BC Cancer and in the community.
- Maintain patient records by collecting and documenting information related to the patient and health care history, radiation therapist assessment, symptom and side effect management, and patient and family education.
- Perform quality assurance checks of equipment in assigned work area according to established procedures, maintains records of checks and takes appropriate action on equipment malfunctions.
What you bring
- Degree in Radiation Therapy or recognized certificate and Canadian Association for Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) Certified.
- Within the preceding five (5) years, the successful completion of Radiation Therapy training program or active employment as a Radiation Therapist.
You also have demonstrated:
- Interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with patients, families, staff, physicians, and other health care providers.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize issues and workload.
- Ability to apply clinical and technical knowledge into practice.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Skills in CPR techniques
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Part-Time (0.80 FTE)
Wage: $37.08 to $46.38 per hour
Location: 399 Royal Ave, Kelowna, BC V1Y 5L3
Hours of Work: Monday, Tuesday, Thurday and Friday; 0645-1445/0700-1500/0715-1515/0730-1530/0800-1600/930-1730/1030-1830 or as operationally required
Requisition # 144879E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 13, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.