More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse (RN), Brachytherapy Perioperative RT Program - Rad Oncology - BC Cancer - Kelowna
Registered Nurse (RN), Brachytherapy Perioperative RT Program - Rad Oncology
This position is for the Operating Room of the Brachytherapy Department.
You’re on a professional mission to reduce the burden of cancer in your community, and with great hope, across the globe. A person-centred nursing professional, you remain steadfast in your efforts to support all individuals who are undergoing cancer care, along with their families and friends. Working with a team of health care colleagues who share your values of compassionate care and excellence through innovation makes all the difference in your work days, as you share the highs and lows with support, kindness, and excellence in care.
What you’ll do
- Provide direct patient care by performing duties such as patient assessment, reviewing patient and family history and developing a nursing care plan specific to the patient needs. Consult with and/or refer patients to members of other health care disciplines as required.
- Function as a scrub nurse and/or circulating nurse for surgical and operative procedures in the Brachytherapy Procedure Area.
- Admit, transfer, and discharge patients according to Agency policies and Operating Room and Professional Practice Nursing directives.
- Maintain patient records by collecting and documenting information related to the patient and health care history, nursing observations, telephone communications, symptom and side effect management, patient and family education and care evaluations.
- Assist the patient in interpretation of the treatment plan and ensures patients and families are aware of services available at the Agency and in the community.
- Maintain a safe environment for patients, families, and staff by adhering to emergency procedures and safety policies and standards.
- Maintain and update own clinical knowledge within area of practice, and develop a plan in collaboration with designated personnel/team for professional development. Review progress to ensure goals are achieved within established time frames.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM).
- Graduate of an advanced nursing specialty program in operating room or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
What you have
- Relevant clinical knowledge.
- Apply clinical knowledge in practice.
- Communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with patients, the public and all levels of staff both verbally and in writing.
- Organize patient care and set priorities.
- Demonstrated skills in CPR techniques and IV skills.
As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have:
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Site Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Need more information? Contact Jennifer Iskierski, Talent Acquisition Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Comprehensive BC Cancer nursing orientation program.
- Find work-life balance with Monday-Friday, daytime shifts (with occasional Saturdays).
- Help us maintain the highest patient survival rate in Canada.
- Use state-of-the-art technology and the latest, evidence-based treatments.
- Be a respected member of Canada's collaborative leading oncology clinical teams.
- Grow your career through continuing education, ongoing professional development, and certification programs.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Part-Time (0.51 FTE)
Wage: $36.23 to $47.58 per hour
Location: 399 Royal Ave, Kelowna, BC V1Y 5L3
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Hours of Work: Tuesday and Thursday; Other; Alternating Wednesday; 0700-1500/0730-1530 or as operationally required.
Requisition number #136610E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 27, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.