More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Secretary, Op-Oncology Clinic, BC Cancer Agency, Kelowna
Secretary, Op-Oncology Clinic
BC Cancer Agency
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Are you a highly organised person with strong administrative skills? As a collaborative member of the health care team, the Secretary provides secretarial and administrative support within a team setting. Maintains a safe environment for patients, families and staff by adhering to safety policies, procedures, guidelines and emergency procedures.
What you’ll do
- Receive calls from all sources including patients; refer calls to other parties or provides information as appropriate.
- Determine urgency of incoming calls and take appropriate action.
- Relay information to and from clinical staff and outside facilities.
- Obtain reports by contacting appropriate departments or outside sources.
- Coordinate appointments and test for patients in collaboration with the clinical team.
- Access patient information system to retrieve patient data, as appropriate.
- Greet visitors and handle enquiries.
- Arrange meetings/conferences and associated logistics. Act as a recording secretary by preparing agenda; drafting, typing and distributing minutes. Prepare materials as required.
- Open, screen, prioritize and distribute mail. Maintain information and correspondence.
- Format and edit documents for correspondence. Draft routine items for signature as required.
- Assist with collecting, collating, formatting and preparing reports as required.
- Assist clinicians in preparation of research documents and grant applications as required by collating information and updating documents.
- Assist with clinician scheduling, timekeeping and collaborating with the clinical team for coverage as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to keyboard at 50 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Casual (0.01 FTE)
Wage: $26.65 per hour
Location: 399 Royal Avenue, Kelowna
Hours of Work: 0800-1600, 0830-1630, 0900-1700 or as operationally required
Requisition # 133780
What we do
BC Cancer Agency is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of October 10, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.