More than just a job.
As a successful candidate, you will be part of a team that processes and analyzes patient samples and produces results that healthcare practitioners rely on to make diagnoses. You will follow established protocols and utilize quality control guidelines to produce accurate laboratory test results. You will collaborate with highly trained colleagues in a technical, ever changing, analytical environment.
- Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time,
- Job Level: Entry, Mid
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful Laboratory team member at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
About Lower Mainland Laboratories
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). We are responsible for providing public laboratory services at 31 laboratory sites and 33 patient services centres throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.
Hospital-based laboratories within Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. Our specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
Seventy to eighty percent of clinical decisions are based on laboratory test results. Our highly trained staff are committed to providing the highest quality laboratory services to all our clients. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, Serve with purpose.
"Labs often work in the background of our health care system, operating largely behind the scenes and out of sight – to provide the data clinicians need for diagnoses and treatment decisions."Craig Ivany Chief Provincial Diagnostics Officer, PHSA
"If working in St. Paul’s Anatomical Pathology department has taught me anything throughout the three years of my time working here, above all else, engaging with the highly supportive leadership and team has been essential to my development and growth as a technologist."Jason Chao Medical Lab Technologist, St Paul's Hospital
"I began my career with PHSA as a Medical Laboratory Technologist, and currently I am a Technical Coordinator. Working at PHSA has allowed me to work with others who are also passionate in delivering the best patient care by providing high quality laboratory results."Amadea Kristanti Technical Coordinator, BC Children's & Women's Labs
Who We Are — LM Labs
We provide laboratory testing services at 31 sites across the Lower Mainland.
These include laboratories based in each of the acute care hospitals in the Lower Mainland and Central Coast and specialty laboratories that provide province-wide reference and specialty testing.
Innovation, Courage and Teamwork
COVID-19 has pulled labs from behind the scenes onto centre stage. Under immense pressure, courageous lab teams are collaborating across the province to rapidly and thoughtfully expand our test capacity and drive innovation together.
The Story of B.C.'s Leading-Edge COVID-19 Test Development
Long before the first case in B.C., our labs were already hard at work on a new COVID-19 diagnostic test, led by the Public Health Laboratory at the BC Centre for Disease Control.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Access to more than 2,000 In-House Training Programs
Paid Time Off
13 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement
Work within a coordinated provincial lab network
Awards & Recognition
Internal awards programs, such as PHSA+, that recognize the outstanding efforts of our people
Laboratory Assistant, Langley Memorial Hospital Labs - LM Labs
Laboratory Assistant, Langley Memorial Hospital
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Laboratory Assistant performs specimen collection, preparation and testing and performs related clerical functions.
What you’ll do
- Collect blood and other specimens and labels with relevant information according to Fraser Health policies. This includes sweat collections, breath collections, capillary gases, venous and capillary blood
samples, and other specimens as required. Assist in the collections of fine needle aspirations by providing clerical support.
- Prepare specimens for analysis by centrifuging, aliquoting, and distributing specimens by priority including Microbiology, Pathology and Cytology specimens and assisting with gross exams. Stain, mount, and label slides.
- Perform clerical duties as required including computer data entry for patient information and tests. Communicate test results to designated parties and handles inquiries from other health team members.
- Clean, operate and maintain equipment such as temperature checks on fridges, incubators, autoclaves and water bath. Inform appropriate staff of problems with equipment as per established procedure.
- Prepare reagents, media, and specimen collection material and distributes as required. Receive, store and ship specimens and other materials. Prepare, handle, and transport specimens for preanalytical and post-analytical storage, including discarding specimens as per accepted protocols.
What you bring
- Completion of Grade 12
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program
- One (1) year’s recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You have the ability to
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Deal with others effectively.
- Organize work.
- Type at 25 wpm.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time (until September 5, 2022)
Wage: $25.31 per hour
Location: 22051 Fraser Hwy, Langley Twp, BC V3A 4H4
Hours of Work: Rotating; All shifts, various start times.
Requisition # 120086
What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
LML is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LML are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.