More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Health Services Manager, Patient Care - Nanaimo Correctional Centre, BC Mental Health & Substance Use
Health Services Manager
BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Health Services Manager provides clinical leadership and management expertise to effectively support the delivery of primary care services to the patients (inmates) and families (where appropriate) of Corrections Health Services. The Health Services Manager is responsible for the effective and efficient management of inter-professional primary care delivery to patients and families, and in collaboration with the Medical Leads, is jointly responsible for providing clinical leadership and direction for the operations management, utilization and risk management, and quality improvement of patient care services.
What you’ll do
- Direct the strategic planning process and coordinates the process of operational planning across the assigned health care centre in collaboration with the Regional Director. Integrate specific goals and objectives into the activities of the Health Services ensuring linkages with individual performance plans, and quality management initiatives.
- Oversee and coordinate on-going team planning, development, evaluation and quality improvement activities that facilitate team goal setting, problem solving, conflict resolution and collaboration by arranging and facilitating meetings and in-services; reviewing team policies and procedures, revising documents, and developing new policies and procedures; selecting and utilizing outcome measures, implementing new approaches to care, and evaluating effect of changes in patient centered primary care practice; composing semi-annual and annual reports; and consults with team and collaborates with other Health Services Managers and the Regional Director regarding efficiency of processes and procedures and changes in policies and procedures to ensure streamlined, effective and patient/family centered practices.
- Manage service area operations by coordinating and establishing priorities, assessing and monitoring staffing requirements and supplies. Define an effective workforce plan in collaboration with key partners and stakeholders that ensures the availability of adequate and appropriate staff according to operational demands and environmental and resource constraints. Develop, recommend, implement and evaluate staffing patterns, rotations and vacation schedules to ensure adequate staffing to meet patient needs.
- Provide leadership to staff through collaborative coaching, guiding and modeling key behaviours and strategies, encouraging dialogue and providing guidance and advice to facilitate resolutions to work issues. Foster partnerships and establish systems that ensure seamless client flow.
What you bring
- Master’s Degree in Nursing or a related health profession from an accredited University.
- A minimum of seven (7) years recent related clinical experience including two (2) years working in a managerial/leadership capacity in a clinical setting, preferably in primary care.
- Current practicing registration with a relevant professional association.
- Solid clinical knowledge of primary care practices.
- Strong skills in clinical and operations management.
- Innovative leadership skills.
- Ability to lead teams and to promote teamwork.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Click on the link below to see what it's like to work at Correctional Health Services!
Job Type: Regular, Full-time
Location: 3945 Biggs Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9R 5N3
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition Number: 118590
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
PHSA plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCMHSUS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of December 02, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.