More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Clinic Administrative Support, BC Centre for Disease Control, New Westminster BC
Clinic Administrative Support,
BC Centre for Disease Control,
New Westminster BC
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Performs a variety of administrative support functions such as word processing, composing and signing correspondence, typing medical and legal reports and documents from notes and/or recording devices, and answering general inquiries related to programs and policies.
What you’ll do
- Perform data entry functions and general word processing duties such as inputting client information into relevant computerized systems, maintaining relevant registers, assigning file numbers updating manuals, and preparing medical, legal, and other reports, charts, tables, letters, presentation material and newsletters from rough draft and general instruction and/or recording devices, using software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, and databases. Prepare and distributes minutes of meetings. Distribute documents and files as requested.
- Gather and compile information as required, such as client information statistics. Perform record management duties such as setting up and maintaining numeric, alphabetical, and subject filing systems, indexing files, and materials to be filed and conducting file searches for requested information. Reply to routine correspondence and formulates a reply to others.
- Operate a multi-line switchboard or phone, and perform reception duties such as directing calls, receiving and relaying messages, and receiving and directing visitors. Refer problems to appropriate person.
- Answer general inquiries by telephone and in person from a variety of sources such as clients, doctors’ offices, staff, and the public, and provides direction and/or general information about programs and policies. Refer problems to appropriate person.
- Receive, sort and distribute incoming and outgoing mail, faxes, internal correspondence, and courier documents. Sign for receipt of package and shipment.
- Assist with client intake by performing duties such as obtaining information, completing documentation required for admission, liaising with information sources to obtain additional client information, and summarizing information for physician and health care providers. Schedule and confirm clients for services, send out appointment reminders, and establish and maintain clinic flow.
- Receive, record, check, and balance financial transactions including receiving payments and issuing receipts.
- Operate office equipment such as photocopiers, shredders, and fax machines, and carries out minor maintenance, such as loading paper, removing paper jams, cleaning glass, and changing toner cartridges. Refers further maintenance required to appropriate person.
- Place purchase orders with external suppliers, receive supplies, check invoices against orders and goods received, store and distribute supplies, and contact suppliers to obtain and/or provide general information.
- Prepare and package medical and non-medical supplies for shipping by performing duties such as packaging, insulating and labeling. Contact couriers and prepares waybills as required.
- Participate in program planning and research within the service line of Clinical Prevention Services by participating in quality and safety initiatives, accreditation and other PHSA initiatives. Providing input into research planning and implementing research activities and assisting in review of research results.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
Education, Training and Experience
- Post secondary graduation from a recognized business or secretarial program supplemented by a course in medical and or scientific terminology or relevant combination of education and training.
- Three (3) years administrative experience in a medical / scientific environment.
Skills & Knowledge
- Understanding of department terminology such as medical, scientific, research or information technology.
- Computer literacy with software programs such as word-processing, presentation, spreadsheets, databases, browsers and electronic mail.
- Demonstrated problem solving, customer service, sound judgment, organization and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to type 50 words per minute.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with BCCDC staff, university faculty, health officials, contractors and the general public. Effective oral and written communication skills in the English language.
- A high degree of accuracy, attention to detail and capable of independent error checking.
- Ability to prioritize projects within deadlines.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have; knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Wage: 20.50 - 22.64/hr
Location: 100 - 237 East Columbia St, New Westminster, BC, V3L 3W4
Hours of Work: 08:00-16:00/08:30-16:30, Mon - Fri
Requisition # 144558
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable diseases and promoting environmental health for the province of BC.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 1 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.