More than just a job.
As a successful candidate, you will be part of a team that processes and analyzes patient samples and produces results that healthcare practitioners rely on to make diagnoses. You will follow established protocols and utilize quality control guidelines to produce accurate laboratory test results. You will collaborate with highly trained colleagues in a technical, ever changing, analytical environment.
- Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time,
- Job Level: Entry, Mid
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful Laboratory team member at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
About Lower Mainland Laboratories
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). We are responsible for providing public laboratory services at 31 laboratory sites and 33 patient services centres throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.
Hospital-based laboratories within Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. Our specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
Seventy to eighty percent of clinical decisions are based on laboratory test results. Our highly trained staff are committed to providing the highest quality laboratory services to all our clients. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, Serve with purpose.
"Labs often work in the background of our health care system, operating largely behind the scenes and out of sight – to provide the data clinicians need for diagnoses and treatment decisions."Craig Ivany Chief Provincial Diagnostics Officer, PHSA
"If working in St. Paul’s Anatomical Pathology department has taught me anything throughout the three years of my time working here, above all else, engaging with the highly supportive leadership and team has been essential to my development and growth as a technologist."Jason Chao Medical Lab Technologist, St Paul's Hospital
"I began my career with PHSA as a Medical Laboratory Technologist, and currently I am a Technical Coordinator. Working at PHSA has allowed me to work with others who are also passionate in delivering the best patient care by providing high quality laboratory results."Amadea Kristanti Technical Coordinator, BC Children's & Women's Labs
Who We Are — LM Labs
We provide laboratory testing services at 31 sites across the Lower Mainland.
These include laboratories based in each of the acute care hospitals in the Lower Mainland and Central Coast and specialty laboratories that provide province-wide reference and specialty testing.
Innovation, Courage and Teamwork
COVID-19 has pulled labs from behind the scenes onto centre stage. Under immense pressure, courageous lab teams are collaborating across the province to rapidly and thoughtfully expand our test capacity and drive innovation together.
The Story of B.C.'s Leading-Edge COVID-19 Test Development
Long before the first case in B.C., our labs were already hard at work on a new COVID-19 diagnostic test, led by the Public Health Laboratory at the BC Centre for Disease Control.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Access to more than 2,000 In-House Training Programs
Paid Time Off
12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement
Work within a coordinated provincial lab network
Awards & Recognition
Internal awards programs, such as PHSA+, that recognize the outstanding efforts of our people
Medical Laboratory Assistant - Lions Gate Hospital, LM Labs
North Vancouver, Canada
Medical Laboratory Assistant - Lions Gate Hospital, LM Labs
Within the context of a client and family centered care model and in accordance with established vision and values of the organization, this position works under general supervision to perform duties related to blood collection and specimen processing. Receives patients for testing, collects blood specimens using venipuncture and skin puncture, prepares specimens for analysis and forwards to referral laboratories or other areas. Performs routine electrocardiogram testing where required. Utilizes the Laboratory Information systems and related database system/s to enter data, generate blood collection lists and reports, etc. Answers telephones, files and distributes materials as required.
In this role, you will:
- Receives patients and examines test requisition/s to confirm patient demographics are current, checks for physician's signature, enters demographics into Laboratory Information system, prints label indicating patient information such as referring physician, name and test and affixes to requisition. Explains procedure for the collection of laboratory specimens and responds to routine inquiries.
- Greets, identifies and prepares patients for specified tests; collects blood specimens by performing venipuncture and skin puncture in accordance with established procedures, labels specimens with required information and ensures safe disposal of sharps and other material as required. Performs routine lab tests such as urine tests for protein and/or glucose using colour coded dip sticks.
- Prepares specimens such as blood and urine for analysis. Checks specimen identification against requisition, identifies whether additional tests or special testing is required. Separates serum or plasma from cells by centrifugation and prepares blood films by spreading blood specimen onto slide. Forwards to Technologist for analysis.
- Receives specimens, spins down and splits specimens into different containers, sorts and labels for testing, logs data into a computerized database and batches specimens in order of established priorities for distribution to applicable area. Stores analyzed specimens and discards outdated specimens as directed in accordance with established facility procedures.
- Arranges for the shipment of specimens to referral laboratories. Completes forms, packages specimens in accordance with safe procedures and regulations outlined in the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act. Contacts courier, air transport or alternate carriers.
- Grade 12
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program.
- One year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to type 25 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
If this sounds like you, apply now!
Lower Mainland Laboratories is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
- Casual Opportunites
- Wage: $23.85 per hour
- Rotating; Rotating
- 231 15th St E, North Vancouver, BC V7L 2L7