Medical Laboratory Technologist 1, Lion's Gate Hospital - Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS)
North Vancouver, Canada
As a successful candidate, you will be part of a team that processes and analyzes patient samples and produces results that healthcare practitioners rely on to make diagnoses. You will follow established protocols and utilize quality control guidelines to produce accurate laboratory test results. You will collaborate with highly trained colleagues in a technical, ever changing, analytical environment.
Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time, Casual, Contractor
Job Level: Entry, Mid
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful Laboratory team member at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
“Labs often work in the background of our health care system, operating largely behind the scenes and out of sight – to provide the data clinicians need for diagnoses and treatment decisions.”Craig Ivany
Chief Provincial Diagnostics Officer, PHSA
“I began my career with PHSA as a Medical Laboratory Technologist, and currently I am a Technical Coordinator. Working at PHSA has allowed me to work with others who are also passionate in delivering the best patient care by providing high quality laboratory results.”Amadea Kristanti
Technical Coordinator, BC Children’s & Women’s Labs
“If working in St. Paul’s Anatomical Pathology department has taught me anything throughout the three years of my time working here, above all else, engaging with the highly supportive leadership and team has been essential to my development and growth as a technologist.”Jason Chao
Medical Lab Technologist, St Paul's Hospital
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended Health and Dental Benefits
Health and Wellness Programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs
Paid Time Off
13 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement
Work within a coordinated Provincial lab network
Awards & Recognition
Internal awards programs, such as PHSA+, that recognize the outstanding efforts of our people
Job DetailsMedical Laboratory Technologist 1, Lion's Gate Hospital - Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) North Vancouver, Canada
Medical Laboratory Technologist I, Lion's Gate Hospital
Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS)
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Medical Laboratory Technologist I performs technical work involved in the duties associated with laboratory test procedures, in addition to evaluating and verifying results, and preparing related reports.
What you’ll do
- Obtain laboratory samples from patients as required.
- Perform Laboratory procedures and analyzes results according to established policies.
- Prepare a variety of solutions, reagents, standards and controls for use in analysis, in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures.
- Respond to requests and inquiries for test results by various methods as required by the standard operating procedures.
- Communicate test results to the appropriate parties, including designated members of other health teams, by methods such as printing and distributing lab results in accordance with the established procedures of the designated area.
- Perform routine instrument maintenance including the setup, calibration, and maintenance of laboratory instruments. Identifies and reports malfunctions in equipment in accordance with the practices established by the Diagnostic Accreditation Program (DAP).
- Assist in the evaluation of technical procedures and provides input in the development and maintenance of policy procedures for assigned work area.
What you bring
- Certification with the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year recent related experience in the designated discipline within the last six (6) years, and/or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will have demonstrated:
- Recent working knowledge of the assigned section or sections.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures, and technical competence to perform tests used in the assigned section of the laboratory, including quality control and safety.
- Basic awareness of research process.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Ability to work under pressure in a constantly changing environment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Casual
Wage: $35.18 to $43.91 per hour
Location: 231 East 15th Street, North Vancouver, BC V7L 2L7
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; variable as per schedule
Requisition Number # 119287
What we do
Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
PLMS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and PLMS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Jobs for You
You have not recently viewed any jobs
You have not saved any jobs