More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Forensic Services Officer - Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services
Forensic Services Officer
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital - BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS)
Various Units including Female Patient Units
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What you’ll do
- Provide safe and secure escort to all maximum security/high risk persons in custody at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital including remands, temporary absences from other correctional institutions, immigration holds under the Criminal Code of Canada, and persons unfit to stand trial and found not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder (NCRMD) under the Mental Health Act.
- Assume custody of patients and ensure the safety of the public and employees of outside facilities during on-site and off-site escorts.
- Maintain the security of the review Board of Canada staff and other visitors during parole and/or court proceedings.
- Respond to high risk situations and provide security to visitors to the hospital during regular visiting hours.
- Perform other related security and protection duties/functions and liaise with outside agencies regarding security issues, including the transport of persons to court and to other external agencies as required.
What you bring
- Grade 12 graduation.
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience in a secure correctional or mental health facility, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Completion of a recognized defensive tactics course including training in the use of force, metal detection, search and seizure.
- Occupational First Aid Level 2.
- Eligiblity for appointment as a Special Provincial Constable.
- Current CPR certificate.
- Valid BC Class 4 Driver's license.
- Working knowledge of applicable legislation and statutes such as the Criminal Code of Canada.
- The ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to control and direct hostile/aggressive behaviour of persons in custody.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Solid understanding of the use of force and applicable legislation as it relates to the ability to retrain uncooperative, hostile or violent persons.
- Knowledge of the principles of the criminal justice system.
- Knowledge of the criminal court system including the application of court and other legal orders.
- Working knowledge of crisis intervention techniques.
- The ability to work independently and as a member of team.
- The ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Multiple Casual Opportunities Available
$25.03 - $31.09 per hour
70 Colony Farm Rd, Coquitlam, BC
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCMHSUS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.