More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse, Maximum and Multi-Level Security Units Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services
Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse, Maximum and Multi-Level Security Units
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services, Port Coquitlam, BC, $36.60 to $47.50 per hour
Provide nursing care delivery and care planning for forensic psychiatric patients, directly or in conjunction with an interdisciplinary and unit-based treatment team or supervisor.
What you’ll do
- Provide direct care in accordance with the care plan by performing protocols and interventions; implementing behaviour management strategies and meeting care recipient needs; applying approved techniques, procedures and treatments; and administering prescribed medication.
- Recognize and identify signs and symptoms and detect changes in patients’ conditions; report and record as indicated.
- Collect and document patient health care information. Maintain complete and accurate records of nursing observation, interventions and evaluation of nursing care. Maintain complete and accurate records of telephone communications.
- Plan direct care and contribute to the physical and psychological well-being of the patients by assessing clinical requirements, status and condition of care recipients; developing care plans based on identified needs; participating in various interdisciplinary assessment and screening processes, and including patient and family, when appropriate, in planning nursing care and implementing care plans, evaluating outcomes and revising plans to address gaps and to respond to the needs of care recipients.
What you bring
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Graduation from a recognized diploma program in Psychiatric Nursing or Nursing.
- One (1) year of recent experience working in a forensic or acute psychiatric hospital setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPR Training – Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) – Level 1.
- Current and updated knowledge of changes and developments in the practice of psychiatric nursing and of applicable Federal and Provincial legislation (i.e. the Criminal Code of Canada, Forensic Psychiatry Act, the Mental Health Act, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Young Offenders Act, Public Trustee Act).
- Broad knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of behavioural, social, emotional and mental health/psychiatric issues in adults.
- Broad knowledge of adult education principles, methods and tools.
- Demonstrated organizational, facilitation, decision-making and leadership skills.
You have demonstrated ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Prepare and maintain records, charts, and reports.
- Participate as a member of multidisciplinary care team, work independently, and function as a nursing resource.
- Adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, and deal with conflict.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physically perform the duties of the position.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary Part-Time (0.64 FTE; until August 2021 or until Single Site Directive is removed in order to comply with PHO Orders)
Wage: $36.60 to $47.50 per hour
70 Colony Farm Road, Port Coquitlam BC
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Hours of Work: 0700-1500/1500-2300
Reference Number: 96393
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) bcmhsus.ca, part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 26, 2020. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.