More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Administrative Assistant, Senior Leaders, BC Cancer Agency, Prince George
Administrative Assistant, Senior Leaders
BC Cancer Agency
Prince George, BC
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Administrative Assistant provides complex confidential administrative and secretarial support to the designated Senior Leader(s) and assists with the activities of multiple programs/departments including workload support and organization-wide activities, relevant human resource actions and subsequent projects and taking direction from other designated personnel as appropriate.
What you’ll do
- Maintain a consistently updated and accurate appointment schedule for the senior leader and others as required. Coordinate meetings ensuring well-defined and timely agendas, identification of and notification to interested parties, compilation of background information and supporting materials and preparation of packages/summary documents to assist in decision making and meeting facilitation. Coordinate administrative meeting logistics and make catering, travel and accommodation arrangements. Attend and act as a recorder for confidential meetings such as senior management meetings and follow-up on action items and in-services as required.
- Respond to verbal and written communication and liaise internally and externally by screening requests and inquiries, making a determination on the importance/urgency of the request, providing a response and/or forwarding to the designated Leader or other senior staff for reply. Liaise with external organizations on behalf of the designated Leader to respond to and/or share information and ensure follow-up by relevant personnel on emergent issues. Effectively triage visitors, telephone calls, correspondence and incoming materials by screening and prioritizing for immediate attention, distributing as appropriate, taking and relaying messages, and directing visitors.
- Provide work direction and guidance to support staff as needed and check the work of others to ensure administrative needs of the area are met. Participate in the development and maintenance of administrative and clinical policies and to ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to policies and procedures.
- Assist in budget development ensuring information is current and accurately compiled, monitor expenditures, ensure invoices are authorized to predetermined amounts and analyze and report variances for multiple departments/programs. Complete purchase requisitions/online purchasing and forward for processing and ensure invoices are authorized for payment and submitted for payment.
- Prepare and update various documents including presentations, spreadsheets, correspondence, meeting minutes, and reports in an accurate and timely manner. Some material may be confidential or include information of a sensitive nature. Develop, organize and maintain professional graphical presentations, including presentations given to groups outside of the organization. Utilize a variety of software applications to ensure professional standards are maintained, relevant and current data is used and end product is appropriately and professionally formatted. Compile information into structured reports.
- Initiate follow-up processes with staff and others. Resolve day-to-day problems as required, evaluate operating procedures, and advise management as necessary. Provide project support, research information, track statistical data, and compile and analyze data involving new projects and the interpretation and application of policies and procedures. Actively participate in team meetings and provide input to new policies, processes, quality improvement activities, and the development of strategies.
- Design and maintain filing and distribution systems for a variety of records and files including confidential information, such as personnel files, payroll files, financial information and other sensitive documents relating to the management of the programs/departments using methods that can be easily accessible to assigned staff.
- Complete and submit eForms for designated Leaders; process timekeeping for assigned staff; and liaise with Finance, Payroll and Human Resources as necessary.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized post-secondary administrative assistant/secretarial program, additional course work in advanced word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, and four (4) years' progressive experience supporting senior level management.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling information of a confidential or sensitive nature. Ability to be discreet when handling human resource requests, time-sheets and follow-up maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, work under time pressures to meet deadlines and handle interruptions and changing priorities.
- Ability to analyze and interpret guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make decisions to determine appropriate action to take in handling inquiries.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to utilize related equipment and computerized software packages such as word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, scheduling, email, and internet applications at an advanced level.
- Demonstrated ability to record and transcribe minutes of meetings.
- Ability to type 60 words per minute.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time (until 11/01/2023)
Wage: $50,150.00 – $65,822.00 / year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate’s relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles.
Location: 1215 Lethbridge Street, Prince George
Hours of Work: 0800-1600, 0830-1630, as operations require
Requisition # 135839
What we do
BC Cancer Agency is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer Agency are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 17, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.