Licensed Practical Nurse, Correctional Health Services
Wage: $27.87 to $31.15 per hour
Prince George Regional Correctional Centre, Prince George, BC
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
PHSA together with BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) took on responsibility for the delivery of health care services in BC Corrections facilities in October 2017. PHSA is mandated to improve the quality and continuity of care for clients across the province during their time in correctional facilities and as they reintegrate into the community. This will help to improve access to primary health care, as well as mental health and substance use support for inmates; key needs that have been identified not just in BC, but internationally.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages, and evaluates selected specialty and province wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
What you'll do:
- Work collaboratively with the interprofessional team to provide health care services to patients (inmates) with physical and/or mental health, substance dependence, concurrent disorder, and chronic disease.
- Identify and monitor inmates' actual and potential strengths and limitations including psychosocial, physiological, psychological, social-cultural, and spiritual needs.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate nursing care within an interprofessional clinical framework in accordance with Standards of Practice for the Licensed Practical Nurses of British Columbia and consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the Provincial Health Services Authority and BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services as well as with established protocols.
What you bring:
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses plus 1 year of experience working with offenders and/or in secure health care settings, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Current full practicing licensure with the with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work and follow instructions accurately.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
What's in it for you:
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
We invite you to apply by visiting https://jobs.phsa.ca and search either by agency (BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services), job category or location. Click on the “Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Click on the link below to see what it's like to work at Correctional Health Services!