More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Medical Secretary Clinical Programs
Medical Secretary Clinical Programs
BC Cancer Agency
Are you efficient and organized, with a keen eye for detail? Help our department run effectively so we can provide the support our staff need to deliver the best possible patient care.
What you’ll do
- Receive screen and prioritize incoming calls from doctors’ offices and patients, take messages, relay information including patient data to and from doctors’ offices and referring hospitals.
- Arrange appropriate action for urgent follow-up appointments, simulator or therapy bookings as indicated by specific physicians and in conjunction with appropriate staff such as Nursing, Radiotherapy Planning or Radiotherapy Treatment.
- Ensure that requests for relevant supporting investigations from referring hospitals and physicians are forwarded to appropriate Clinic departments for immediate action. Conduct follow-up as required.
- Prepare physician itineraries on a regular basis and establish a system whereby physicians can be contacted on urgent matters.
- Liaise with British Columbia Cancer Agency Library Staff and others as required.
- Access patient information system to retrieve confidential patient data.
- Ensure that timely follow-up action is taken by Medical Staff in response to telephone messages.
- Participate in drafting of departmental directives and procedures; liaise with administration regarding modification to and creation of Clinic directives and procedures.
- Maintain familiarity with Clinic and British Columbia Cancer Agency directives and procedures, particularly those related to patient care; provides information to clinic physician as required.
- Liaise with other Clinic departments and participates in resolving communication and other workflow issues and concerns.
- Assist with gathering of reports relating to workload measurement and Quality Assurance.
- Type urgent annotations in Clinic charts as directed by physician according to Clinic and Agency Health Records policies and procedures.
- Ensure that requests by Medical Staff for urgently needed reports are acted upon by appropriate Clinic departments.
- Maintain related filing and record keeping systems.
- Transcribe reports and papers for publication from handwritten or dictated material utilizing personal computer.
- Assist physicians in independent clinical research projects using resources within British Columbia Cancer Agency Clinics’ Health Records Departments.
- Arrange registration for meetings and conferences, books hotel accommodations and makes travel arrangements consistent with Agency policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What you bring
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to keyboard at 60 wpm
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Ability to organize work
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
Job Type: Temporary, full time - ending 22/03/2022
Wage $26.12 per hour
Location: BCCA Centre for the North, Prince George
Hours of Work: 0730 - 1530, 0800 - 1600 , 0830- 1630, or as operations require
Requisition # Cas030821P
What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.