More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Senior Medical Physicist - BC Cancer Prince George
Senior Medical Physicist
Prince George, BC
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Senior Medical Physicist provides advanced physics and other specialized skills to support the technical requirements of planning and treatment of Radiation Therapy patients.
What you’ll do
- Provide direct support of patient treatment including external beam, brachytherapy and other specialized radiation techniques, by ensuring accuracy of the predicted dose and for the calculated treatment parameters to deliver the prescribed radiotherapy dose to the identified anatomical volume.
- Consult with physicians and Radiation Therapists regarding treatment strategies.
- Develop and administer the technical aspects of the radiation oncology quality assurance program, by measuring, verifying and evaluating all equipment used in the support of radiotherapy.
- Contact service personnel to arrange for corrective actions and trouble-shoots difficult or unusual system problems.
- Ensure radiation safety procedures are followed and participates in; monitoring of radiation levels, radiation facility design, control of radioactive source inventory, assessment of any radiation incidents, and assurance that all aspects of license compliance are met.
- Provide training in radiation safety to all appropriate staff.
- Lead, research, develop, and implement new clinical devices, techniques, and concepts, and ensures seamless transfer into the radiotherapy program by collaborating with Radiation Oncologist and other professionals.
- Develop policies and procedures and provides training to staff accordingly
- Responsible to remain current in all radiotherapy equipment and new technologies, and ensure that both meet the needs of the program.
- Participate in assessment of equipment at time of acquisition or upgrade, as well as decommissioning old equipment and commissions equipment for clinical use.
- Responsible for decisions related to fitness of equipment to be used for radiation therapy patients following commissioning, repair or service and other adjustments. This requires the Senior Medical Physicist to provide work direction to Radiotherapy Service Technologists, Physics Assistants and Tool and Die Makers as well as external service personnel.
What you bring
- Ph.D. degree in physics.
- At least eight (8) years of closely related experience, OR, a combination of education, experience and demonstrated ability which is recognized internally as equivalent, including an established track record and CCPM or ABR certification.
- MCCPM required.
- FCCPM is required within two (2) years of entering this level.
- Internal promotion level S requires MPPC Review.
You also have the ability to:
- Provide a high standard of medical radiation therapy physics services.
- Demonstrate interpersonal, organizational, analytical, oral and written communication and teaching skills.
- Work independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Perform the duties of the job.
- Adhere to the Canadian Organization of Medical Physicists code of ethics.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: 1215 Lethbridge Street, Prince George BC, V2M 7E9
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday; 0730 - 1530, 0800 - 1600, 0830 - 1630, or as operations require
Requisition # 125586
Salary Range: $ 149,401 - $ 224,102/ year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate’s relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan.
How do I Apply?
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and detailed curriculum vitae to:
Nick Chng, Ph.D, FCCPM, Professional Practice Leader, BC Cancer - Prince George
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia. BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.