More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Administrative Assistant, PHSA Corporate, Vancouver BC
Are you a highly organized individual with strong administrative skills? The Administrative Assistant provides complex confidential administrative and secretarial support to the designated Senior Leader(s) and assists with the activities of multiple programs/departments including workload support and organization-wide activities. This role will support multiple HINs Leaders including Emergency Care BC and Critical Care BC.
What you’ll do
- Maintain a consistently updated and accurate appointment schedule for the senior leader and others as required. Coordinate meetings ensuring well-defined and timely agendas, identification of and notification to interested parties, compilation of background information and supporting materials and preparation of packages/summary documents to assist in decision making and meeting facilitation. Coordinate administrative meeting logistics and makes catering, travel and accommodation arrangements. Attend and act as a recorder for confidential meetings such as senior management meetings and follows-up on action items and in-services as required.
- Respond to verbal and written communication and liaises internally and externally by screening requests and inquiries, making a determination on the importance/urgency of the request, providing a response and/or forwarding to the designated Leader or other senior staff for reply. Liaise with external organizations on behalf of the designated Leader to respond to and/or share information and ensure follow-up by relevant personnel on emergent issues. Effectively triage visitors, telephone calls, correspondence and incoming materials by screening and prioritizing for immediate attention, distributing as appropriate, taking and relaying messages, and directing visitors.
- Provide work direction and guidance to support staff as needed and checks the work of others to ensure administrative needs of the area are met. Participate in the development and maintenance of administrative and clinical policies and to ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to policies and procedures
- Assist in budget development ensuring information is current and accurately compiled, monitor expenditures, ensure invoices are authorized to predetermined amounts and analyzes and reports variances for multiple departments/programs. Complete purchase requisitions/online purchasing and forwards for processing and ensure invoices are authorized for payment and submitted for payment.
- Prepare and update various documents including presentations, spreadsheets, correspondence, meeting minutes, and reports in an accurate and timely manner. Some material may be confidential or include information of a sensitive nature. Develop, organize and maintain professional graphical presentations, including presentations given to groups outside of the organization. Utilize a variety of software applications to ensure professional standards are maintained, relevant and current data is used and end product is appropriately and professionally formatted. Compile information into structured reports.
- Initiate follow-up processes with staff and others. Resolve day-to-day problems as required, evaluate operating procedures, and advise management as necessary. Provide project support, research information, track statistical data, and compile and analyzes data involving new projects and the interpretation and application of policies and procedures. Actively participates in team meetings and provide input to new policies, processes, quality improvement activities, and the development of strategies.
- Design and maintain filing and distribution systems for a variety of records and files including confidential information, such as personnel files, payroll files, financial information and other sensitive documents relating to the management of the programs/departments using methods that can be easily accessible to assigned staff.
- Complete and submit eForms for designated Leaders; processes timekeeping for assigned staff; and liaise with Finance, Payroll and Human Resources as necessary.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized post-secondary administrative assistant/secretarial program, additional course work in advanced word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, and four (4) years' progressive experience supporting senior level management.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling information of a confidential or sensitive nature. Ability to be discreet when handling human resource requests, time-sheets and follow-up maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, work under time pressures to meet deadlines and handle interruptions and changing priorities.
- Ability to analyze and interpret guidelines. Demonstrated ability to work independently and make decisions to determine appropriate action to take in handling inquiries.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to utilize related equipment and computerized software packages such as word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, scheduling, email, and internet applications at an advanced level.
- Demonstrated ability to record and transcribe minutes of meetings.
- Ability to type 60 words per minute.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type Regular Full-Time
Location Vancouver BC
Hours of work 0830-1630
Reference number 131133
What we do
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.