Administrative AssistantApply Now Apply Later
BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the Child and Family Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCW and BCCH are agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Children’s and Women’s Health Centre
Aboriginal Health- BC Women’s Hospital
Reference # 56486
Regular Full Time (1.00 FTE)
Start Date: June 12, 2017
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. The Administrative Assistant provides confidential administrative and secretarial support to the designated Senior Leader(s) and assists with the activities of the program/services including workload support and organization-wide activities, relevant human resource actions and subsequent projects and taking direction from other designated personnel as appropriate. The Administrative Assistant follows administrative policies and procedures and works independently with minimal direction to balance priorities and workflow. The Administrative Assistant interacts with senior leaders, managers/directors and administrative support staff across the organization to convey information and professionally represent the interests of the department/senior leader utilizing strong persuasion and communication abilities and the exchange of information. The Administrative Assistant determines courses of action from established alternatives to make decisions that will have a positive impact in the program/service and exercises initiative, judgment and problem-solving skills to complete confidential, time-sensitive work. Judgments affect the accuracy and acceptability of further processes or services in the organization.
• Provides administrative support that respects confidentiality and ensures that administrative matters are organized and dealt with in a professional manner.
• Prepares documents including presentations, spreadsheets, correspondence, meeting minutes, and reports in an accurate and timely manner. Utilizes a variety of software applications to ensure professional standards are maintained, relevant and current data is used and end product is appropriately and professionally formatted. Compiles information into structured reports.
• Maintains a consistently updated and accurate appointment schedule for the senior leader and others as required. Coordinates meetings ensuring well-defined and timely agendas, identification of and notification to interested parties, compilation of background information and supporting materials and preparation of packages/summary documents to assist in decision making and meeting facilitation. Makes catering, travel and accommodation arrangements. Attends meetings and in-services as required.
• Designs and maintains filing and distribution systems for a variety of records and files including confidential information, such as personnel files, payroll files, financial information and other sensitive documents relating to the management of the Department using methods that can be easily accessible to assigned staff.
• Assists in budget development ensuring information is current and accurately compiled, monitors expenditures, ensures invoices are authorized to predetermined amounts and analyzes and reports variances for multiple departments/programs. Completes purchase requisitions/online purchasing and forwards for processing and ensures invoices are authorized for payment and submitted for payment.
• Provides work direction and guidance to support staff as needed to ensure administrative needs of the area are met. Participates in the development and maintenance of administrative and clinical policies and helps to ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to policies and procedures.
• Provides project support, researches information, tracks statistical data, and compiles and analyzes data involving new projects and the interpretation and application of policies and procedures. Completes and submits timekeeping records, vacation entitlements and responds to related queries from departments such as Finance, Payroll and Human Resources.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized post-secondary administrative assistant/secretarial program, additional course work in advanced word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, and four (4) years' progressive experience supporting senior level management.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling information of a confidential or sensitive nature. Ability to be discreet when handling human resource requests, time-sheets and follow-up maintenance. Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, work under time pressures to meet deadlines and handle interruptions and changing priorities. Demonstrated ability to work independently and make decisions to determine appropriate action to take in handling inquiries. Demonstrated knowledge and ability to utilize related equipment and computerized software packages such as word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, scheduling, email, and internet applications at an advanced level. Demonstrated ability to record and transcribe minutes of meetings. Ability to type 60 words per minute.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: www.phsa.ca/careers
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities