Administrative AssistantApply Now Apply Later
BC Cancer is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BC Cancer is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Research Clinical Trials
Administrative Assistant – Clinical Trials Office
Temporary Full-time (1.00 FTE)
Start Date: June 11, 2018
End Date: June 10, 2019 (12 months)
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Administrative Assistant provides confidential administrative and secretarial support to the designated Senior Leader(s) and assists with the activities of the program/services including workload support and organization-wide activities, relevant human resource actions and subsequent projects and taking direction from other designated personnel as appropriate. The Administrative Assistant follows administrative policies and procedures and works independently with minimal direction to balance priorities and workflow. The Administrative Assistant interacts with senior leaders, managers/directors and administrative support staff across the organization to convey information and professionally represent the interests of the department/senior leader utilizing strong persuasion and communication abilities and the exchange of information. The Administrative Assistant determines courses of action from established alternatives to make decisions that will have a positive impact in the program/service and exercises initiative, judgment and problem-solving skills to complete confidential, time-sensitive work. Judgments affect the accuracy and acceptability of further processes or services in the organization.
Working in the high paced Clinical Trials Office, the Administrative Assistant is the first point of contact for internal and external stakeholders and organizations and is responsible to share information and triage requests appropriately ensuring timely follow up on emergent issues. Strong communication and organization is necessary in managing the changing and competing priorities and expedites requests and inquiries to the Manager or other Senior staff as appropriate.
This position is a 12-month temporary term with the possibility of extension.
• Provides administrative support that respects confidentiality and ensures that administrative matters are organized and dealt with in a professional manner.
• Prepares documents including presentations, spreadsheets, correspondence, meeting minutes, and reports in an accurate and timely manner. Utilizes a variety of software applications to ensure professional standards are maintained, relevant and current data is used and end product is appropriately and professionally formatted. Compiles information into structured reports.
• Maintains a consistently updated and accurate appointment schedule for the senior leader and others as required. Coordinates meetings ensuring well-defined and timely agendas, identification of and notification to interested parties, compilation of background information and supporting materials and preparation of packages/summary documents to assist in decision making and meeting facilitation. Makes catering, travel and accommodation arrangements. Attends meetings and in-services as required.
• Designs and maintains filing and distribution systems for a variety of records and files including confidential information, such as personnel files, payroll files, financial information and other sensitive documents relating to the management of the Department using methods that can be easily accessible to assigned staff.
• Assists in budget development ensuring information is current and accurately compiled, monitors expenditures, ensures invoices are authorized to predetermined amounts and analyzes and reports variances for multiple departments/programs. Completes purchase requisitions/online purchasing and forwards for processing and ensures invoices are authorized for payment and submitted for payment.
• Completes and submits timekeeping records, vacation entitlements and responds to related queries from departments such as Finance, Payroll and Human Resources.
• Provides work direction and guidance to support staff as needed to ensure administrative needs of the area are met.
• Participates in the development and maintenance of administrative and clinical policies and helps to ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to policies and procedures.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized post-secondary administrative assistant/secretarial program, additional course work in advanced word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, and four (4) years’ progressive experience supporting senior level management.
Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively, resolve administrative issues/problems, prioritize workload, and to be flexible to meet and adapt to changes in organizational priorities. Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office applications, including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, at an advanced level. Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload and work under time pressures to meet deadlines. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including the ability to respond professionally, courteously, and in a clear manner. Demonstrated interpersonal and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to record and transcribe minutes of meetings. Ability to type 60 w.p.m.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process". Current PHSA staff who applies to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to register your internal profile and apply online for internal jobs. If you require a temporary password outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com
Internal competition closes May 23, 2018 Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.