More than just a job.
As a successful candidate, you will be part of a team that processes and analyzes patient samples and produces results that healthcare practitioners rely on to make diagnoses. You will follow established protocols and utilize quality control guidelines to produce accurate laboratory test results. You will collaborate with highly trained colleagues in a technical, ever changing, analytical environment.
- Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time,
- Job Level: Entry, Mid
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful Laboratory team member at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
About Lower Mainland Laboratories
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). We are responsible for providing public laboratory services at 31 laboratory sites and 33 patient services centres throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.
Hospital-based laboratories within Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. Our specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
Seventy to eighty percent of clinical decisions are based on laboratory test results. Our highly trained staff are committed to providing the highest quality laboratory services to all our clients. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, Serve with purpose.
"Labs often work in the background of our health care system, operating largely behind the scenes and out of sight – to provide the data clinicians need for diagnoses and treatment decisions."Craig Ivany Chief Provincial Diagnostics Officer, PHSA
"If working in St. Paul’s Anatomical Pathology department has taught me anything throughout the three years of my time working here, above all else, engaging with the highly supportive leadership and team has been essential to my development and growth as a technologist."Jason Chao Medical Lab Technologist, St Paul's Hospital
"I began my career with PHSA as a Medical Laboratory Technologist, and currently I am a Technical Coordinator. Working at PHSA has allowed me to work with others who are also passionate in delivering the best patient care by providing high quality laboratory results."Amadea Kristanti Technical Coordinator, BC Children's & Women's Labs
Who We Are — LM Labs
We provide laboratory testing services at 31 sites across the Lower Mainland.
These include laboratories based in each of the acute care hospitals in the Lower Mainland and Central Coast and specialty laboratories that provide province-wide reference and specialty testing.
Innovation, Courage and Teamwork
COVID-19 has pulled labs from behind the scenes onto centre stage. Under immense pressure, courageous lab teams are collaborating across the province to rapidly and thoughtfully expand our test capacity and drive innovation together.
The Story of B.C.'s Leading-Edge COVID-19 Test Development
Long before the first case in B.C., our labs were already hard at work on a new COVID-19 diagnostic test, led by the Public Health Laboratory at the BC Centre for Disease Control.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Access to more than 2,000 In-House Training Programs
Paid Time Off
13 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement
Work within a coordinated provincial lab network
Awards & Recognition
Internal awards programs, such as PHSA+, that recognize the outstanding efforts of our people
Analyst, Laboratory Information Systems, Royal Columbian Hospital - LM Labs
Analyst, Laboratory Information Systems
Royal Columbian Hospital, LM Labs
New Westminster, BC
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA effective October 26, 2021.
The Analyst, Laboratory Information Systems, is responsible for maintaining, testing, and validating the assigned laboratory information systems. Investigates and corrects laboratory system errors and provides staff training as required by the LIS Coordinators. Works with other LIS Analysts and receives guidance and direction from the LIS Coordinators. Required to work at various sites across the Lower Mainland Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.
What you’ll do
- Maintains, tests, and validates the laboratory information system as prioritized by the administrative leader in collaboration with the LIS Coordinators; maintains the laboratory information system through methods such as analyzing error logs and audit reports; identifies problems and brings to the attention of the LIS Coordinators, as required.
- Assists in the maintenance of databases for the laboratory information systems.
- Maintains patient information systems including specific activities such as; demographic updates, patient merges, and other visit/episode changes. Maintains system’s tables for quality and accuracy as well as performing regular updates.
- Provides services to medical technologist by correcting related LIS errors and problems; refers unresolvable problems to the LIS Coordinator or appropriate personnel.
- Participates in the development of changes and enhancements to the laboratory information systems as required to ensure the systems are consistent with current medical laboratory practice requirements.
- Assists in program testing for new or revised laboratory information systems. Assists with the preparation of detailed implementation plans and works towards on time completion of system implementation tasks.
- Assists with the installation of system interfaces and equipment, in collaboration with other teams.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized program in Medical Laboratory Science and certification with the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- Three (3) years recent, related experience as a Laboratory Technologist including recent, related involvement in LIS maintenance and testing.
- Diploma in Information Technology or related field supplemented with courses in communications and/or customer service, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
$33.29 to $41.61 per hour
Royal Columbian Hospital
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Work Days: Rotating
Hours of Work: Rotating
What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
LM Labs is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.