More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Anesthesia Assistant, Gynecology Surgical Services- BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre
Anesthesia Assistant, Gynecology Surgical Services
BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre
What you’ll do
- Set up, test, calibrate, operate and monitor equipment for regular use including anesthetic machines, breathing circuits, ventilators, scavenging devices, intubation equipment, fiberoptic bronchoscopes, monitoring equipment, infusion devices and blood gas machines. Assist the anesthesiologist with the trial use and evaluation of new equipment.
- Prepare patients for surgery and perform pre-operative assessments as requested by the anesthesiologist.
- Insert or assist with the insertion of devices such as nasogastric tubes, esophageal stethoscopes, IV’s, intra-arterial lines, PIC lines, Swan Ganz catheters and Central Venous catheters.
- Assist with or perform airway management, including insertion of laryngeal mask airways, intubations, difficult intubations and mask ventilation.
- Assist in the positioning of patients under the direction of the anesthesiologist.
- Adjust the anesthetic (i.e.: ventilation, temperature control devices etc) as directed by the anesthesiologist.
What you bring
- Graduate from a recognized school of Respiratory Therapy.
- Two (2) years recent Operating Room or Critical Care experience.
- Completion of an accredited post-graduate diploma in Anesthesia Technology.
- Membership in the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT), and the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT).
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program.
You will have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Collaborate effectively with all team members.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Use critical thinking skills.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Casual (0.01 FTE)
$35.65 to $44.56 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Rotating Schedule; 0700-1905, 1900-0705, 0730-1530 (varies)
Requisition Number: 101349E
What we do
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) bcwomens.ca is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education. BCW is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCW are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.