More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Anesthesia Assistant Trainee - BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre
Anesthesia Assistant Trainee, Gynecology Surgical Services
BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre, Vancouver BC, $31.99 to $39.98 per hour
What you’ll do
- Assist in the preparation and induction of anesthesia including Preoperative checkout/calibration of the Anesthetic workstation and provision of anticipated equipment needs for each case. Assist with patient preparation by performing duties such as pre-operative patient assessment, positioning, invasive line setup.
- Assist with and/or performs the insertion of devices such as oro or nasogastric tubes, intravenous, and intra-arterial catheters under the supervision of the attending anesthesiologist. Assists with establishing arterial lines and assist with central line, Swan Ganz, TEE placement. Assist with neuraxial techniques such as epidural, spinal and regional anesthesia. Establishing, monitoring and management of the airway, including assistance with difficult airways and topicalization.
- Assist in the documentation of patient data on the Anesthetic Record.
- Under the supervision of the attending anesthesiologist, assist and/or perform procedural sedation as directed. Monitor intra-operative patient status and intervenes as instructed including airway management, NG placement, temperature control (monitoring and devices), diagnostic data such as ABG’s, hemodynamic calculations and glucose testing. Prepare and administer prescribed pharmacological agents to maintain adequacy of anesthesia and hemodynamic stability. Respond to and assists with all intraoperative crises such as Cardiac Arrest, Malignant Hyperthermia, Failed Intubation and Hemorrhage. Administration of blood and blood products, including autotransfusion (Cell Saver).
- Maintain and stock pediatric, difficult intubation, hemodynamic and malignant hyperthermia carts.
- Assist anesthesiologist with emergence from anesthesia including Titration of anesthetic, airway maintenance, titration of mechanical ventilation and extubation. Transfer, transportation and postoperative management of ventilation.
- Assist anesthesiologist with cases outside of the O.R. such as MRI, CT scan, Interventional suites, Cath Lab and Endoscopy.
What you bring
- Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
- One (1) year of critical care experience or two years’ experience in an acute care environment.
- Active enrolment in the Certificate of Anesthesia Assistant program
- Membership in the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT), and the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT).
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support
You will have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Collaborate effectively with all team members.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Use critical thinking skills.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Wage: $31.99 to $39.98 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0730-1530
Requisition Number: 106217
What we do
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) bcwomens.ca is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of April 11, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.