More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Anesthesia Assistant Trainee, Health Promotions - BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre
Anesthesia Assistant Trainee, Health Promotions
BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre
The Anesthesia Assistant Trainee will provide clinical assistance under the direct supervision of an Attending Anesthesiologist.
What you’ll do
- Assist in the preparation and induction of anesthesia including Preoperative checkout/calibration of the Anesthetic workstation and provision of anticipated equipment needs for each case. Assist with patient preparation by performing duties such as pre-operative patient assessment, positioning, invasive line setup.
- Assist with and/or performs the insertion of devices such as oro or nasogastric tubes, intravenous, and intra-arterial catheters under the supervision of the attending anesthesiologist. Assist with establishing arterial lines and assist with central line, Swan Ganz, TEE placement. Assist with neuraxial techniques such as epidural, spinal and regional anesthesia. Establishing, monitoring and management of the airway, including assistance with difficult airways and topicalization.
- Assist in the documentation of patient data on the Anesthetic Record.
- Assist and/or perform procedural sedation as directed. Monitor intra-operative patient status and intervene as instructed. Prepare and administer prescribed pharmacological agents to maintain adequacy of anesthesia and hemodynamic stability. Respond to and assist with all intraoperative crises.
- Maintain and stock pediatric, difficult intubation, hemodynamic and malignant hyperthermia carts.
What you bring
- Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
- One (1) year of critical care experience or two (2) years’ experience in an acute care environment.
- Active enrolment in the Certificate of Anesthesia Assistant program
- Membership in the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT), and the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT).
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support
You also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Collaborate effectively with all team members.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Think critically.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Wage: $31.99 to $39.98 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 2N9
Hours of Work: Rotating Schedule; 0700-1905/1900-0705
Requisition # 114412
What we do
BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education.
BCW is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCW are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 24, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.