Anesthesia Assistant TraineeApply Now Apply Later
BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCCH is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Anesthesia Assistant Trainee
Reference # 62809
Regular Full Time
Wage: $29.08 to $36.24 per hour
4480 Oak Street
The Anesthesia Assistant Trainee functions as an integral member of the surgical team through provision of technical support and clinical assistance with induction, maintenance and emergence of anesthesia, under direct clinical supervision of the attending anesthesiologist and in accordance with the standards of practice guidelines of the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society.
The Anesthesia Assistant Trainee will report to the Anesthesia Supervisor for learning outcomes and the Program Manager for schedule of rotation. The Anesthesia Supervisor will assess trainee progress and develop ongoing plan to help the trainee meet all learning requirements.
The Anesthesia Assistant Trainee will provide clinical assistance under the direct supervision of an Attending Anesthesiologist. A Qualified Anesthesia Assistant will orientate the Anesthetic Assistant Trainee to the role including demonstration and supervision of practice of the technical duties associated with the role. The Anesthesia Supervisor and Program Manager will confirm and agree sufficient proficiency in the required technical duties prior to completion of the orientation process.
Example of Duties/Accountabilities:
- Assists in the preparation and induction of anesthesia including Preoperative checkout/calibration of the Anesthetic workstation and provision of anticipated equipment needs for each case. Assists with patient preparation by performing duties such as pre-operative patient assessment, positioning, invasive line setup.
- Assists with and/or performs the insertion of devices such as oro or nasogastric tubes, intravenous, and intra-arterial catheters under the supervision of the attending anesthesiologist. Assists with establishing arterial lines and assist with central line, Swan Ganz, TEE placement. Assist with neuraxial techniques such as epidural, spinal and regional anesthesia. Establishing, monitoring and management of the airway, including assistance with difficult airways and topicalization.
- Assists in the documentation of patient data on the Anesthetic Record.
- Under the supervision of the attending anesthesiologist, assists and/or performs procedural sedation as directed. Monitors intra-operative patient status and intervenes as instructed including airway management, NG placement, temperature control (monitoring and devices), diagnostic data such as ABG’s, hemodynamic calculations and glucose testing. Prepares and administers prescribed pharmacological agents to maintain adequacy of anesthesia and hemodynamic stability. Responds to and assists with all intraoperative crises such as Cardiac Arrest, Malignant Hyperthermia, Failed Intubation and Hemorrhage. Administration of blood and blood products, including autotransfusion (Cell Saver).
- Maintains and stocks pediatric, difficult intubation, hemodynamic and malignant hyperthermia carts.
- Assists anesthesiologist with emergence from anesthesia including Titration of anesthetic, airway maintenance, titration of mechanical ventilation and extubation. Transfer, transportation and postoperative management of ventilation.
- Assists anesthesiologist with cases outside of the O.R. such as MRI, CT scan, Interventional suites, Cath Lab and Endoscopy.
- Prepare fiber-optic bronchoscopes and other equipment as required, and assist the anesthesiologist during bronchoscopy with equipment set-up, preparation of and instillation of medication, and sample procurement.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program. One year of critical care experience or two years’ experience in an acute care environment.
- Active enrolment in the Certificate of Anesthesia Assistant program
- Membership in the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT), and the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT).
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with all team members.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Critical thinking skills.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile athttp://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on opportunities with PHSA please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information on BC Children’s Hospital please visit: www.bcchildrens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.