More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Animal Care Technician, Husbandry, Animal Resource Centre - BC Cancer
Animal Care Technician, Husbandry, Animal Resource Centre
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Husbandry Animal Care Technician- Husbandry, Animal Resource Centre (ARC) performs routine husbandry procedures such as weaning and sexing as directed, maintains daily care of the laboratory rodents, changes and cleans animal cages and racks, lifts, transfers and transports rodents and animal unit supplies, provides general cleaning of animal facility and performs census duties.
What you’ll do
- Perform routine husbandry procedures such as weaning and sexing as directed.
- Maintain daily care of laboratory rodents through methods such as checking food and water levels are adequate, adding food and water as necessary, observing rodents for general health conditions and transporting rodents to different areas as needed.
- Perform census duties such as daily counting of cages in rooms.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements and maintains a safe and organized work environment by performing general upkeep and cleaning of animal facility including disinfecting equipment, walls, floors, rooms, corridors, changing and cleaning animal cages, bottles and racks, and removing garbage and used laundry.
- Perform related clerical duties such as answering telephones, logging information, completing forms and filing materials such as requisitions and forms as directed.
What you bring
- Grade 12 and six months of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You are able to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Deal with others effectively
- Carry out the duties of the position
- Organize the work
- Operate related equipment
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Casual
Wage: $22.16 per hour
Location: 675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1G1
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Rotating; 0700-1500/0800-1600/0900-1700
Requisition Number: 118420
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.