More than just a job.
Business Intelligence Database Analyst - BC Centre for Disease Control
We enable health services providers to become leaders in providing patient-centered health care, using enterprise standards and frameworks to deliver useful information and clinical tools reliably and consistently, anytime, anywhere. IMITS manages over 300 applications across business, clinical and research environments, serving over 50,000 front line, administrative and research staff to enable over 4.8 million patient encounters a year. As a successful candidate, you will deliver support to enable PHSA, Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) and Providence Health Care (PHC) to become leaders in providing patient-centered health care. You have initiative, vision, independent thinking and creative problem solving abilities, as well as excellent communication skills.
- Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time,
Temporary, Casual, Contractor
- Job Level: Entry, Mid, Senior
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful in an IMITS role at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Technologically Savvy
Information Management/Information Technology Services (IMITS) is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages, and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. IMITS boasts a complement of 800 full-time staff who provide tech support and services to 50,000+ staff across PHSA, Vancouver Coastal Health and Providence Health Care. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, Serve with purpose.
"We are fortunate to have an amazing team of intelligent, reliable and dedicated professionals. Our health care system depends on a number of systems and technologies to function correctly and efficiently, and your commitment to this organization does not go unnoticed. Thank you for the incredible contributions that you make - not only enable the health system today but to help transform the system for the future to improve patient and provider experiences."Shannon Malovec Executive Vice President, Digital Health & Information Services
"I haven't been in any other workplace where the managers or teams have been so supportive of my development or pushing me to try new things."John Panzo Business Analyst, Project Services
"No two days are the same. It's a lot of analysis, a lot of thinking. If you like to pull things apart and bring them back together and make it something better."Shukri Ahmed Clinical Lead
800+ full-time staff
Technology Services oversees the management of over 64,000 workstations across 259 sites and the infrastructure for the province’s centralized data centre.
Due to its unique provincial visibility, Technology Services is also accountable for province-wide services such as the E-Health Network Gateway and the Physician Private Network.
Behind The Scenes In The Network Lab
Benefits and Perks
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Enrollment in defined benefit Municipal Pension Plan
The opportunity to grow and advance your skill set in a large scale environment
We encourage "You" Time For Activities that inspire and motivate
Work with individuals bringing expertise from a variety of backgrounds
Business Intelligence Database Analyst - BC Centre for Disease Control
Business Intelligence Database Analyst
BC Centre for Disease Control
The Business Intelligence Database Analyst is responsible for the planning, design, development and management of new and existing reporting database systems. Reporting to the Manager, the Business Intelligence Database Analyst applies a broad range of information technology experience and Business Intelligence (BI) knowledge, to provide assistance to all Health Authorities and supports Surveillance Analysts, report builders and Data Analysts for report building, optimization, schema and data interpretation. This position plans, designs, and develops BI solutions, including Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) process, reports and data cubes. This position ensures the integrity and quality of the data accessible through these BI solutions, and also manages and maintains the overall existing BI system and its associated security.
What you’ll do
- Design and develop reports to deliver “BI” (Business Intelligence) to the end users.
- Collaborate with Database Administrators, Systems Analysts, Surveillance Analysts and Biostatisticians to identify, analyze and rationalize internal and external data sources and ETL strategies.
- Assist the Business Analysts and Application Analyst to develop and maintain a current mapping between the data dictionary and the database structure/map.
- Design and sustain a coherent Integrated Data model and data mart that supports the BI needs of various customers.
- Support the Business Analysts, Application Analysts and PHSA IM/IT teams in rollout activities such as user acceptance testing, user training, product demos and product evaluation.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and five (5 years of experience in BI/data modeling, including working directly with end users (clinicians, managers, senior executives) to produce data models and reports that produce real business results.
- Advanced knowledge of BI Tools and applied knowledge of SQL Server.
- Knowledge of OLAP architecture and multidimensional database design techniques.
You will also have:
- Proven hands-on experience with standard data warehousing/data mart and Business Intelligence tools, Microsoft SQL Server, including queries, stored procedures, and when to use triggers/views, and SQL, Oracle, XML, HTML, DHTML, client/server and Web development.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology.
- Ability to understand and clearly relate technical information and principals of operation to other members of the organization.
- Ability to analyze operational problems and recommend innovative solutions, demonstrating time management skills.
- Proven ability to plan and execute complex projects with stringent budgets and timelines.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Salary Range: $67,864 - $97,555/year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate’s relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles.
Location: 655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 4R4
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 09:00-17:00
Requisition # 142451
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable diseases and promoting environmental health for the province of BC.
BCCDC is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCDC are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of March 20, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
- Senior Director, Finance Sustainment, Business Applications and Projects Mar. 21, 2023
- Lead, Indigenous Patient Experience, Cultural Safety and Partnerships - BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre Mar. 21, 2023
- Nurse Practitioner, Lung Cancer Team, BC Cancer Vancouver Mar. 21, 2023
- Nurse Practitioner (NP),Radiation Oncology - Lung Malignancies and VARA Clinic Mar. 21, 2023