More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Carpenter in accordance with established policies, standards and procedures, performs skilled carpentry work at the journeyman level related to maintenance and fabrication of carpentry and structural components in adherence to all applicable codes, regulations, and safety requirements, including regulations of the WCB.
What you’ll do
- Reviews work requests and consults with user departments regarding installation and other project requirements; interprets blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the required materials and equipment and makes recommendations as required.
- Prepares for work projects by performing operational and safety risk assessments, arranging work schedules with user departments and assembling supplies, tools and equipment.
- Designs, constructs, and maintains woodwork, furniture, doors and hardware, by selecting, laying out, joining, assembling, erecting and/or dismantling materials; constructs, erects, installs and repairs structural elements such as T-bar ceiling grids, wall guards, hand rails and wall components in conformance with applicable Building Codes and By-Laws
- Maintains storage and work areas in clean, tidy and safe condition and maintains an inventory of supplies, equipment and tools; completes related reports and records including daily work summary sheets; recommends purchase of related supplies and equipment.
- Evaluates equipment/supplies for technical acceptance and safety prior to selection as required.
- Performs other general maintenance and repair duties related to building exteriors, grounds and equipment in a variety of areas as required/assigned, such as but not limited to: concrete formwork, fencing and barricades, playground equipment or cladding.
- Assigns work tasks to designated staff and provides related training and orientation; checks work performed to ensure proper completion.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Grade 10 plus two years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Trades Qualification Certificate as a journeyman Carpenter recognized by the Province of British Columbia.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and installation specifications.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time until January 2023 or return of incumbent
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC V6H 2N9
Hours of Work: 07:00-15:00 Monday-Friday
Requisition #: 121462E
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.