More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Chief Respiratory Therapist Operating Room - BC Cancer Vancouver
Chief Respiratory Therapist
Operating Room –BC Cancer Vancouver $33.13/hr. - $41.43/hr.
What you do
- Plans and coordinates Respiratory Therapy services by methods such as establishing working relationships with other departments, clinical units and medical staff. Communicates with physicians and other medical staff regarding bronchoscopy procedures and specialized tests in order to promote the most effective and efficient operation of the suite, to ensure quality of care and to ensure that care is provided in an effective, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Provides consultation and supervision to designated staff and clinical teams by performing duties such as planning and evaluating clinical programs, reviewing workload assignments and adjusting schedules according to workload to ensure that staff levels meet operational requirements. Establishes priorities and provides guidance and technical advice by facilitating resolutions to work problems and by monitoring operations/clinical activities to ensure standards are met and safety procedures are followed. Forwards information on unresolved work problems to Physician for action; forwards grievances to Physician for response.
- Sets up and calibrates necessary devices and equipment for treatments such as endobronchial therapy, electrocautery, YAG laser and photodynamic therapy, or fluorescence bronchoscopy.
- Administers a variety of respiratory therapy treatments by performing duties such as administering nebulizer for local anesthetic, assisting physician by injecting local anesthetic through bronchoscope. Provides patient with inhaler or aerosol gas and administers oxygen therapy as required to enable physician to insert bronchoscope into the lungs.
- Schedules patients for tests by performing duties such as receiving calls from physicians for patients not previously booked and determining available laboratory time to ensure that appointments are booked in conjunction with physician’s schedule. Receives and prepares patients from standard set of orders by performing duties such as reviewing patient chart, assessing general condition of patient, explaining test procedure and connecting equipment to patient in preparation for procedure.
- Assesses patient’s respiratory and cardiac status by performing duties such as monitoring non-invasive oxygen saturation, blood pressure, electrocardiogram and heart rate during procedure and advising physician of patient’s status to ensure tests are being performed in a safe and effective manner.
What you bring
- Diploma in Respiratory Therapy from an accredited institution.
- Current registration with the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapist.
- Current certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ recent related experience including at least one (1) year supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
What you have
- Deal with others effectively.
- Ability to supervise.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Organize workload on a priority basis.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the job.
- Demonstrated skills in CPR techniques.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary Part Time (.58 FTE)
Start Date: ASAP– End Date: March 14, 2022
$33.13/hr. - $41.43/hr.
Surgical Oncology, Vancouver Centre
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 0600-1400 / 0630-1430 / 0700-1500 / 0730-1530
Requisition Number: 104863
What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.