More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Child Life Specialist - BC Children's Hospital
Child Life Specialist
Myocardial Infarction Acute Care (MI ACU), BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver BC, $31.99 to $39.98 per hour
Multiple casual opportunities!
What you’ll do
- Plan, initiate, and supervise activities that foster continued growth and development in children and youth, based on daily information concerning the health care condition, developmental level, and interests by methods such as providing play materials for patients in play areas and at the bedside.
- Provide opportunities for adaptation to the hospital environment and an understanding of medical experiences by providing play materials, opportunities for health care play, and developmental information.
- Support children, youth and caregivers throughout the challenges of hospitalization and illness by identifying and encouraging effective coping techniques.
- Prepare children, youth, and families cognitively and emotionally for medical and surgical procedures through methods such as play, demonstration and/or dialogue. Provides support as part of the treatment plan including accompanying child to procedure or Operating Room and being present during a procedure to decrease stress and anxiety.
- Provide guidance, support and supervision to students and volunteers.
- Observe, record, and report relevant information relating to the patients as it pertains to Child Life, and work in collaboration with the family and health care team regarding the care of the patient.
What you bring
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Child & Youth Care from a recognized program.
- Completion of a practicum/internship in child life, and one (1) year’s recent related experience working with children and families, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Meets the eligibility requirements to write the Child Life Certification Examination.
You will have the ability to:
- Assess and interact with patients and families applying theories of human growth and development, family systems, and cultural diversity.
- Represent and communicate the role of child life to others.
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Work as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Work effectively with others.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Three Casual Opportunities
$31.99 to $39.98 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Rotating Days; 08:00-16:00
Requisition Number: 105865, 106773, & 106776
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.