More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Clinical Counsellor - BC Children's Hospital
Outpatient Psych & Eating Disorders, BC Children’s Hospital, $35.65 to $44.56 per hour
What you’ll do
- Plan, design, and deliver individual and various modalities of group counselling to patients by identifying patients’ goals and expectations and learning needs, assisting with understanding of health issues, teaching coping strategies, consulting with colleagues when required, and supporting patient population.
- Perform intakes, assessments, treatment planning, crisis intervention, consultations, counselling, group therapy and psychoeducation.
- Work within a harm reduction model of care, conducts individual and group counselling sessions designed to increase client awareness of patient population’s related issues and enhance positive motivation for change.
- Maintain confidential patient files and documentation of telephone and in-person contacts with community providers/patients
- Consult with a variety of health care, social services and other providers, both hospital and community-based, on a wide range of clinical issues pertaining to the management of patient population and service delivery issues including providing information based upon theory/practice, discussing client care issues and developing linkages/partnerships with other facilities, agencies, and support groups.
- Collaborate with other members of the interdisciplinary team, in the formulation of treatment and discharge plans. Make recommendations for forwarding to referral sources in order to ensure continuity of care.
What you bring
- Master’s Degree in a health related discipline such as Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology or a related health discipline from a recognized program at an accredited educational institution.
- Specific training and certification applicable to program area and patient population or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Two (2) years of recent related work experience in community and/or hospital organizations that includes experience working with the designated client population, including experience in planning, coordinating and evaluating within a multi-disciplinary team setting; educating and training using a variety of teaching modalities, and facilitating or co-facilitating support groups.
- Eligible for membership and registration in the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors.
You will have the ability to:
- Use knowledge and skill working with the designated client population.
- Utlize broad skills in counselling, clinical assessment and report writing.
- Engage in individual and group therapy sessions alone and as a co-facilitator.
- Develop, coordinate, facilitate, and evaluate education/training or discussion groups on a wide range of health topics for this client population.
- Liaise effectively with staff at all levels of the organization and with partners in other health centres and community agencies across the Province.
- Use sensitivity, confidentiality, and commitment to trauma informed and patient and family-centred care.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Casual (0.01 FTE)
Wage: $35.65 to $44.56 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Requisition Number: 102738
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of January 22, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.