More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Computational Biologist - Database Development, Genome Science Centre - BC Cancer Vancouver
Database Development Genome Science Centre
What you do
- Assist in the development and maintains the core sequence analysis pipelines at GSC, including but not limited to:
- QC of sequencing data;
- Alignment of sequenced reads;
- Formatting and manipulation of alignment files for use by downstream pipelines (e.g. merging, re-headering);
- Dissemination of data to collaborators;
- New analyses pipelines as required.
- Assist in the development and maintains GSC laboratory, quality and analysis databases, including:
- Routine database integrity checks and database maintenance;
- Development of views and interfaces for data entry;
- Development of reports for internal users and collaborators;
- Investigation of new frameworks and designing new schemas and tables.
- Communicate with stakeholders in the lab, on analysis teams, and with external collaborators to understand and document requirements for development and to respond to questions about collaborator data and data quality.
- Work with upstream and lab teams generating data to be housed in the database, and with downstream users of the databases to meet requirements, and responds to internal requests for query and API support.
- Participate in the development and maintains ETL pipelines between GSC production databases.
- Manage the storage and compression of over 5Pb of internally generated sequencing data as well as the download and storage of external data.
- Work closely with GSC Systems team and Quality Assurance team to establish and carry out best practices for data security, and ensure compliance with ISO 27001 certification, CAP/DAP clinical accreditation requirements and other data use agreements
- Test and validates new data analysis software for analyses such as alignment, duplicate marking and merging.
- Participate in code walk-throughs and reviews of solutions.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Science Program in Computer Science or equivalent with significant computer science components.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
What you have
- Expertise in database programming and database design.
- Designing and/or maintaining a relational database including knowledge of SQL or PostgreSQL, and with ORMs.
- REST API development knowledge.
- Front-end web development (React, AngularJS).
- Functional knowledge of distributed version control systems, such as GIT.
- Developing software as part of a team, familiarity with Agile development and ticketing systems.
- Comfortable working in a UNIX environment, including experience with shell scripting and common command-line tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Efficiently organize work assignments and establish priorities.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular Full Time
$31.99/hr. - $39.98/hr.
675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday - 0830 - 1630
Requisition Number: 112200
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of August 01, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.