More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Computational Biologist, Software Development, GSC - BC Cancer, Vancouver
Computational Biologist, Software Development, GSC
BC Cancer, Genome Sciences Centre
** Two Regular Full-Time Opportunities **
You’re on a professional mission to reduce the burden of cancer in your community, and with great hope, across the globe. A person-centred nursing professional, you remain steadfast in your efforts to support all individuals who are undergoing cancer care, along with their families and friends. Working with a team of health care colleagues who share your values of compassionate care and excellence through innovation makes all the difference in your work days, as you share the highs and lows with support, kindness, and excellence in care.
What you’ll do
- Code in Python and specify, implement, test, and maintain bioinformatics pipelines and applications as assigned.
- Assist with devising or modifying systems to solve complex problems associated with high throughput pipelines, considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results.
- Participate in code walk-throughs and reviews of the coded solutions to PEP8 standards.
- Participate in the design and build of database and software solutions taking performance into consideration.
- Coordinate production problem resolution for assigned applications, including working with other technical teams.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Science Program in either Computer Science, Biological Sciences, or equivalent program.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience in a bioinformatic setting or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
- Demonstrated expertise with Python or other similar high level languages for application in data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to program and run analysis in a high throughput bioinformatics production environment.
- Functional knowledge of Agile development and ticketing systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Functional knowledge of distributed version control systems, such as GIT.
- Demonstrated ability to work with bioinformatics workflow managers (e.g. Nextflow).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Two Regular, Full-Time opportunities
$31.99 to $39.98 per hour
675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 1L3
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition Number: 111678 and 111679
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 23, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.