More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Computational Biologist - Variant Databases Genome Science Centre BC Cancer Vancouver
Computational Biologist - Variant Databases Genome Science Centre
What you do
- Participate in maintaining, designing and developing the GSC analysis and variant databases, including:
- Checking data integrity and loading new data into existing tables;
- Working with external data sources for genomic and sample metadata;
- Design and implementation of new schemas and tables to house new data types;
- API and front-end web application development.
- Work with upstream bioinformatics and lab teams generating data to be housed in the database and responding to internal requests for query and API support.
- Collaborate with other sequencing sites in Canada and internationally to share data and define best practices for data sharing.
- Work closely with GSC Systems team and Quality Assurance team to establish and carry out best practices for data security, and ensure compliance with ISO 27001 certification, CAP/DAP clinical accreditation requirements and other data use agreements.
- Work with clinical and research teams to develop web interfaces and patient reports for use in the clinic and within the research community.
- Perform literature searches, testing and validation of new data analysis software, prepares presentations at scientific conferences.
- Participate in code walk-throughs and reviews of solutions.
- Participate in the design and build of database and software solutions taking performance into consideration.
- Coordinate production problem resolution for assigned applications, including working with other technical teams.
- Evaluate third-party software and incorporates new systems into legacy systems.
- Produce thorough but concise written documentation of software, validations, SOPs, and other processes and procedures as required.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Science Program in Computer Science or equivalent with significant computer science components.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
What you have
- Expertise in database programming and database design.
- Designing and/or maintaining a relational database including knowledge of SQL or PostgreSQL, and with ORMs.
- Familiarity with non-relational databases such as Hadoop or graph databases.
- REST API development knowledge.
- Front-end web development (React, AngularJS).
- Functional knowledge of distributed version control systems, such as GIT.
- Developing software as part of a team, familiarity with Agile development and ticketing systems.
- Comfortable working in a UNIX environment, including experience with shell scripting and common command-line tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Efficiently organize work assignments and establish priorities.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular Full Time
$31.99/hr. - $39.98/hr.
675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday - 0830 - 1630
Requisition Number: 107052
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of April 29, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.