More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Continuing Care & Discharge Coordinator, Nursing Support Services - Sunny Hill Health Centre/BC Children's Hospital
Continuing Care & Discharge Coordinator
Sunny Hill Health Centre/BC Children's Hospital
What you’ll do
- Determine the effectiveness of the program referral and care continuation processes and present recommendations for improvements and system changes to optimize the care continuum, minimize system barriers and ensure timely and appropriate movement through the system. Participate in the implementation of recommended system improvements and quality and safety initiatives.
- Facilitate and coordinate timely intake, reassessments and transitions/discharge by coordinating the continuum of care between the hospital, the community and other external health care facilities and agencies.
- Receive and review all referrals for access and transitions/discharge for the program. Identify suitable services for referral in accordance with established protocols. Work in close collaboration with service providers and health care teams to ensure referral eligibility and needs.
- Collect, analyze and report data for current resource utilization in order to inform system development and work with interprofessional team members by using data to monitor and evaluate improvements in the care continuation process in order to facilitate successful, expedient, efficient, and effective admission and discharge planning.
- Advise and support comprehensive health care team in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of referrals and discharges for children eligible for the program. Work collaboratively with other health care team members to advise and support the direct care nurse to prepare patient specific teaching plans for families of infants and children with complex health care needs.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Three (3) years recent related clinical experience in tertiary pediatric nursing or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will also have knowledge of:
- Nursing science theory, and practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- The British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) standards for Nursing Practice.
- Skill and expertise in tertiary pediatric services and related issues.
- Relevant policies, procedures, and standards of care.
- Other health care disciplines and their role in patient care.
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time (Until January 30, 2024 or until return of incumbent)
Wage: $43.09 to $52.82 per hour
Location: 3644 Slocan Street, Vancouver, BC, V5M 3G1
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition # 138876
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children and youth from across British Columbia.
Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC) provides specialized development and rehabilitation services to BC children, youth and their families.
BCCH and SHHC are part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA, BCCH and SCCH are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of January 13, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.